De-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission

In summary: That would give the final velocity as a function of ##\theta##, ##M##, and ##m##. Not sure if it's any easier, though.
Frostman
Homework Statement
An excited atom of mass ##M## moving with velocity ##v## in the laboratory system decays into a state of mass ##m## by emitting a photon.
Calculate the relationship between the final speed ##v'## of the atom and the angle ##\theta##, formed by the directions of flight of the final particles.
Relevant Equations
Conservation of the four-momentum
Schermata 2021-07-07 alle 17.18.24.png

The information I have are the following:

##p^\mu=(E, p, 0, 0)##
##p'^\mu=(E', p'\cos\beta, -p'\sin\beta,0)##
##k^\mu=\tilde{E}(1, \cos\alpha, \sin\alpha, 0)##

Where:

##E=\sqrt{M^2+p^2}##
##E'=\sqrt{m^2+p'^2}##

Using the conservation of the four-momentum

##p^\mu=p'^\mu+k^\mu##
##(p^\mu)^2=(p'^\mu+k^\mu)^2##
##M^2=m^2+0+2(E'\tilde{E}-p'\tilde{E}\cos\theta)##
##\frac{M^2-m^2}{2(E-E')}=E'-p'\cos\theta##
##\frac{M^2-m^2}{2E'(E-E')}=1-v'\cos\theta##

Now I should replace the values of ##E'## and ##E##, but I don't know if this is the correct way, after that I would have all the roots of their definitions and I would have to rework the formula to write ##v'## as a function of ##\theta##, ##M##, ##m## and ##v##.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do not you proceed to get formula of ##v'(\theta,M,m,v)## first then investigate it ?

I tried, but the more I go I get lost in the accounts. I'm not even rewriting what I wrote here on the forum because it seems to me just a waste of time, but to show that I tried to do the math I am attaching the spreadsheets.

As this is an exam to be done along with 2 exercises in 2 hours, it's strange that I have to lose myself in so many accounts.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 09.12.54.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 09.12.54 (1).jpeg

A tough calculation. I just try an introduction.
Energy conservation
[tex]\sqrt{P^2+(Mc)^2}=\sqrt{p^2+(mc)^2}+k...(1) [/tex]
Momentum conservation
[tex]P=p \cos \alpha+k \cos\beta[/tex]
[tex]0=p \sin \alpha + k \sin \beta[/tex]
[tex]\theta=\alpha-\beta[/tex]
so
[tex]p=-\frac{\sin\beta}{\sin\theta}P[/tex][tex]k=\frac{\sin\alpha}{\sin\theta}P[/tex]
with ##\beta<0<\alpha<\theta##. The formula
[tex]sin\theta=\sin\alpha \cos\beta - \cos \alpha \sin\beta[/tex] would give
[tex]1=\frac{k}{P}\sqrt{1-\frac{p^2}{P^2}\sin^2\theta}+\frac{p}{P}\sqrt{1-\frac{k^2}{P^2}\sin^2\theta}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{\rho\kappa}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{\rho^2}-\sin^2\theta}+\sqrt{\frac{1}{\kappa^2}-\sin^2\theta}[/tex]
where
[tex]\rho=\frac{p}{P}=\frac{mv}{MV}\sqrt{\frac{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
and from (1)
[tex]\kappa=\frac{k}{P}=\frac{\sqrt{P^2+(Mc)^2}-\sqrt{p^2+(mc)^2}}{P}=\frac{c}{V}\{1-\frac{m}{M}\sqrt{\frac{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\}[/tex]
I hope it is correct and may help you check validation of your calculation.

Last edited:
I’m not too familiar with this stuff, but I’ll take a shot…

M and m are rest masses and we take c=1.
Let γ = 1/√(1 -v²) and let γ’ = 1/√(1 -v’²).
In the lab’ frame:
- the (initial) energy of M is γM
- the (final) energy of m is γ’m.
So the photon has energy γM - γ’m (and therefore its momentum is γM - γ’m).

In the lab’ frame, use xy axes oriented so that the photon is moving in the +x direction; this means that m is moving at angle θ anticlockwise with respect to the +x axis.

Therefore the photon’s momentum is γM - γ’ in the +x direction.
I.e. the photon’s 4-momentum is k = (γM - γ’m, γM - γ’m, 0, 0)

And m’s 4-momentum is: p = (γ’m, γ’mv’cosθ, γ’mv’sinθ, 0)

Total 4-momentum after emission is P = k + p

P
= (γM – γ’m + γ’m, γM – γ’m + γ’mv’cosθ, γ’mv’sinθ, 0)
= (γM, γM + γ’m(v’cosθ -1), γ’mv’sinθ, 0)

Since the length-squared of the 4-momentun is Lorentz invariant:
P•P = M²
(γM, γM + γ’m(v’cosθ -1), γ’mv’sinθ, 0)•(γM, γM + γ’m(v’cosθ -1), γ’mv’sinθ, 0) = M²
(γM )² – [(γM + γ’m(v’cosθ -1))² + (γ’mv’sinθ)² + 0²] = M²

The question states “Calculate the relationship between the final speed v’ of the atom and the angle θ…” which is a bit ambiguous/vague. Technically, once we replace γ and γ’ by their definitions, the last equation (above) answers the question. If you want an equation for v', then it's now a (very nasty) exercise in algebra.

If I've misunderstood something, I would be more than happy if someone could correct me.

Steve4Physics said:
(γM )² – [(γM + γ’m(v’cosθ -1))² + (γ’mv’sinθ)² + 0²] = M²
I think this result is equivalent to the OP's result if ##E## and ##E'## in the OP's result are replaced by ##\gamma M## and ##\gamma' m##, respectively.

Steve4Physics said:
The question states “Calculate the relationship between the final speed v’ of the atom and the angle θ…” which is a bit ambiguous/vague. Technically, once we replace γ and γ’ by their definitions, the last equation (above) answers the question. If you want an equation for v', then it's now a (very nasty) exercise in algebra.
I tend to agree. Finding a relationship between ##v'## and ##\theta## does not necessarily imply that you have to express ##v'## explicitly as a function of ##\theta##.

( It wouldn't be hard to do the reverse; i.e. express ##\theta## as a function of ##v'##. )

Likes anuttarasammyak
An alternative approach would be to find the energy and momentum in the rest frame of the (initial) atom and then transform back to the lab frame.

1. What is de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission?

De-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission is a process in which an atom, which is in an excited state due to absorbing energy, releases that energy in the form of a photon and returns to its lower energy state. This process is also known as spontaneous emission.

2. How does de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission occur?

De-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission occurs when the energy level of an excited atom is higher than its ground state energy level. The atom then releases the excess energy in the form of a photon, which carries away the energy and causes the atom to return to its lower energy state.

3. What factors influence the rate of de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission?

The rate of de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission is influenced by several factors, including the energy difference between the excited and ground states of the atom, the number of atoms present, and the environment in which the atom is located. Additionally, the wavelength of the emitted photon and the lifetime of the excited state also play a role in the rate of de-excitation.

4. What is the significance of de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission?

The de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as light emission from stars and the functioning of lasers. It is also essential in various technological applications, including medical imaging, optical communications, and energy production.

5. Can de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission be controlled?

Yes, de-excitation of a moving atom with photon emission can be controlled through various methods, such as changing the energy levels of the atoms, manipulating the environment, and using external stimuli such as electric or magnetic fields. This control allows for the precise manipulation of light emission, which is essential in many technological applications.