How Do De Morgan's Laws Apply to Set Theory Proofs?

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, to prove that every element in A\setminus(B\cap C) is contained in (A\setminus B) or (A\setminus C), we show that every element in A\setminus(B\cap C) is contained in either (A\setminus B) or (A\setminus C) and use the de Morgan law to show that (B\cap C)^c=B^c+C^c-B\cup C.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Prove ##A\setminus(B\cap C)=(A\setminus B)\cup(A\setminus C)##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
We will show that every element in ##A\setminus(B\cap C)## is contained in ##(A\setminus B)## or ##(A\setminus C)##. If ##x\in A\setminus (B\cup C)## then ##x\in A##, ##x\notin B## and ##x\notin C##, thus ##x\in(A\setminus B)## and ##x\in(A\setminus C)## now I'm assuming the next step is to say that this shows that ##x\in(A\setminus B)\cup(A\setminus C)## but I'm confused as to why we this is a union instead of an intersection. If ##x## is not in B and C then why do we use and/or instead of just and? I am obviously interpreting this incorrectly so hopefully someone can clarify.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
Because it doesn't follow that ##x\in A\setminus (B\cup C)## that ##x\notin B##. Think about it.
Okay so since it's possible that x is in either B or C we have ##x\in A##, ##x\in (B\cup C)##?

It might be helpful to "de morgan" each side. For example, the left side becomes ##\overline{A} \cup (B \cap C)##.

Likes Potatochip911
verty said:
It might be helpful to "de morgan" each side. For example, the left side becomes ##\overline{A} \cup (B \cap C)##.
So I should also try to show that ##(A\setminus B)\cup(A\setminus C)=A\setminus(B\cap C)##? Also I haven't yet learned what ##\overline{A}## represents.

Potatochip911 said:
So I should also try to show that ##(A\setminus B)\cup(A\setminus C)=A\setminus(B\cap C)##? Also I haven't yet learned what ##\overline{A}## represents.

Oh right, in that case do it the way you were doing it but be careful not to get the symbols wrong. I thought you had to apply De Morgan's laws somehow, so the obvious thing was to take the complement of each side.

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

Prove ##A\setminus(B\cap C)=(A\setminus B)\cup(A\setminus C)##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
We will show that every element in ##A\setminus(B\cap C)## is contained in ##(A\setminus B)## or ##(A\setminus C)##. If ##x\in A\setminus (B\cup C)## then ##x\in A##, ##x\notin B## and ##x\notin C##, thus ##x\in(A\setminus B)## and ##x\in(A\setminus C)## now I'm assuming the next step is to say that this shows that ##x\in(A\setminus B)\cup(A\setminus C)## but I'm confused as to why we this is a union instead of an intersection. If ##x## is not in B and C then why do we use and/or instead of just and? I am obviously interpreting this incorrectly so hopefully someone can clarify.

If ##E^c## denotes the complement ("not-##E##) of a set ##E##, then ##D \backslash E = D \cap E^c##, essentially by definition. Do you know how one of the DeMorgan laws relates ##(B \cap C)^c## to ##B^c## and ##C^c##?

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911
verty said:
Oh right, in that case do it the way you were doing it but be careful not to get the symbols wrong. I thought you had to apply De Morgan's laws somehow, so the obvious thing was to take the complement of each side.
So for the other side: If ##x\in (A\setminus B)\cup (A\setminus C)## then ##x\in A## and ##x\in (B\cup C)##
Ray Vickson said:
If ##E^c## denotes the complement ("not-##E##) of a set ##E##, then ##D \ E = D \cap E^c##, essentially by definition. Do you know how one of the DeMorgan laws relates ##(B \cap C)^c## to ##B^c## and ##C^c##?
In my statistics class we had ##P(B\cap C)^c=P(B^c)+P(C^c)-P(B\cup C)##

Potatochip911 said:
So for the other side: If ##x\in (A\setminus B)\cup (A\setminus C)## then ##x\in A## and ##x\in (B\cup C)##

In my statistics class we had ##P(B\cap C)^c=P(B^c)+P(C^c)-P(B\cup C)##

This is irrelevant: the question has nothing to do with statistics or probability. It is just a question about set manipulation.

Likes Potatochip911
Ray Vickson said:
This is irrelevant: the question has nothing to do with statistics or probability. It is just a question about set manipulation.
Hmm I think I have solved this question, if ##x\in A\setminus(B\cap C)## then ##x\in A## and ##x\notin (B\cap C)##, it follows that ##x\notin B## or ##x\notin C## which leads to ##x\in (A\setminus B)\cup (A\setminus C)##

Potatochip911 said:
Hmm I think I have solved this question, if ##x\in A\setminus(B\cap C)## then ##x\in A## and ##x\notin (B\cap C)##, it follows that ##x\notin B## or ##x\notin C## which leads to ##x\in (A\setminus B)\cup (A\setminus C)##

I think you have solved it as well.

Likes Potatochip911
Dick said:
I think you have solved it as well.
I would really appreciate it if someone could look over this one as well, I'm supposed to prove that ##A\cup (B\cap C)=(A\cup B)\cap (A\cup C)##, In order to prove this I must show that that x can go from an element of the LHS to the RHS (Not really sure how to word this suggestions would be appreciated) ##x\in (A\cup B)\cap (A\cup C)##, Starting from the LHS I have that if ##x\in A\cup (B\cap C)## then ##x\in A## and ##x\in (B\cap C)##, this leads to two cases, the first case is when ##x\in A##, this implies that ##x\in (A\cup B)\cap (A\cup C)## since if ##x\in A## this statement holds true. The second case is when ##x\in (B\cap C)##, this also implies the RHS since if ##x\in (B\cap C)## then the statement ##(A\cup B)\cap (A\cup C)## also holds, therefore ##A\cup (B\cap C)=(A\cup B)\cap (A\cup C)##. I'm curious as to whether or not this is sufficient or if I have to manipulate the expressions more.

Potatochip911 said:

You have gone one way (proving that ##A\setminus(B \cap C) \subset (A\setminus B) \cup (A\setminus C)##. You also need to establish the reverse.

Likes Potatochip911
Ray Vickson said:
You have gone one way (proving that ##A\setminus(B \cap C) \subset (A\setminus B) \cup (A\setminus C)##. You also need to establish the reverse.
Is it possible that the proof changes when going the other way around or is it always the same steps just proving them in reverse?

Potatochip911 said:
Is it possible that the proof changes when going the other way around or is it always the same steps just proving them in reverse?

You tell me.

Likes Potatochip911

Related to How Do De Morgan's Laws Apply to Set Theory Proofs?

1. What are De Morgan's Laws?

De Morgan's Laws are two theorems in Boolean algebra that describe the relationship between the logical operators of "and" and "or" when applied to negated expressions.

2. Who discovered De Morgan's Laws?

De Morgan's Laws were first discovered by mathematician Augustus De Morgan in the 19th century.

3. What is the first De Morgan's Law?

The first De Morgan's Law states that the negation of a conjunction is equivalent to the disjunction of the negations of the individual terms. In other words, "not (A and B)" is the same as "(not A) or (not B)".

4. What is the second De Morgan's Law?

The second De Morgan's Law states that the negation of a disjunction is equivalent to the conjunction of the negations of the individual terms. In other words, "not (A or B)" is the same as "(not A) and (not B)".

5. How are De Morgan's Laws useful in logic and computer science?

De Morgan's Laws are useful in simplifying and transforming logical expressions and statements. They are also used in circuit design and programming to optimize operations and reduce the number of logical gates or lines of code needed for a specific task.