Deciding Between Physics or Nuclear Physics

In summary: I would much rather work on theoretical physics than work on something that is solely for practical applications.In summary, Vanadium is leaning more towards theoretical physics in her area of interest, but is still open to experimental physics. Jtbell is leaning towards the general physics track and is concerned that the nuclear track is more focused on nuclear power and resources. Gleem is leaning towards the general physics track and is concerned about the practical applications of nuclear physics.
LadyAkatosh
I just returned to college to finish my degree in Physics! My advisor and I have been talking about how by the Spring semester, I should have a general idea about which track to go in the Physics program.

My options are the pure physics track or the nuclear physics track. We've gone over the courses for both tracks so I understand how my education would play out, but I am curious as to which track would be best.

I do plan on grad school after graduating, as my main interests lie in astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. From what I understand, nuclear physics seems to be closer to what I am looking for rather than general physics since a lot of the sub-fields I am interested in can/do operate on the subatomic level. On the other hand, the general physics track includes series classes that focus on both theoretical and experimental physics.

Thoughts on which track would be best?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that because the programs are specific for your school, without knowing any details, it's a bit hard to say which would be better. I would have to assume that a nuclear track will also include a lot of theoretical and experimental physics, right? What do you do that's "extra" in nuclear that you wouldn't in physics? Do you miss out on anything important if you do nuclear (e.g. thermo?).

I'm really curious, I haven't come across a college with a nuclear physics specific program, do you mind sharing what it is?

For getting into grad school, the specific program isn't going to matter too much, so much as (a) your marks, (b) your undergrad research and (c) your letters of recommendation.

Sure!

The nuclear physics program looks like this:

Major Concentration: Introduction to Nuclear Sciences
Introduction to Nuclear Measurements
Applications of Nuclear Sciences
Electronics I
Theoretical Mechanics
Modern Physics
Electromagnetic Theory I
Thermal Physics
Advanced Laboratory

Then you have to choose at least two courses from these:
Electronics II
Computational Physics Electromagnetic Theory II Mathematical Methods of Physics
Quantum Mechanics

Both require Undergrad Research. The main General Physics tracks includes all of the above, minus the three courses that deal with nuclear physics. So in the list where a nuclear physics major would have to choose two more courses, general physics track takes all of them. Hope that makes sense!

I wouldn't think I would miss anything important if I went nuclear, it's so hard to decide which is best!

Thank you for your response as well! What you said about grad school is reassuring.

Are you interested in experimental or theoretical physics in your areas of interest?

I don't understand how a course purporting to be in nuclear physics can not have QM as a requirement.

I suspect the nuclear sciences concentration is aimed at people who want to go into medical physics (radiology etc.).

For grad school in the areas that you're interested in, I think you should go with the general physics track. It includes all the "core four" courses that grad schools look for: Classical mechanics, QM, E&M, and thermal; and some lab work. If you're interested in one or more of the nuclear courses, and can fit them in, take them as additional electives.

Gleem- I am leaning more towards theoretical but I am still open to learning about experimental as well!

Vanadium- I was curious about this as well. I really want to take QM!

Jtbell- Thank you for the advice, that sounds like the best option. You are right that the nuclear track could be for medical physics. Part of my university is a medical college, and also the person who started the nuclear track sends a lot of his students to intern at a nuclear lab.

You'll probably be more likely to make a long-term career in nuclear medicine than in astrophysics, cosmology, or particle physics which usually require snagging one of the scarce tenure-track academic research positions after a postdoc or two. If you're interested at all in the medical physics route, it might be a good idea to keep it open by taking appropriate courses.

I also see a nuclear physics track at this level puzzling. Certainly your preferences and theoretical leaning suggests the general physics track. I personally think the nuclear track is aimed more at nuclear power/nuclear structure research and not medical physics. There is some application of nuc physics in cosmology with regard to the study of the origin and abundance of the elements.

In any event make sure you take quantum mechanics. You might check out this program http://physics.nd.edu/research/research-groups/nuclear-physics-group/

Last edited:
After everything you guys have mentioned, (the ND graduate Physics program looks incredible gleem), I've decided to stick with the general physics track. I spoke with the professor who is in charge of the nuclear physics aspect and he said that it's definitely for nuclear power/resources. That's not really something I'm interested in.

So I've made my decision and I'm very excited about it! While my greatest passion lies in Astrophysics, I'm open to other fields as well!

Related to Deciding Between Physics or Nuclear Physics

What is the difference between physics and nuclear physics?

Physics is a broad field that studies the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. Nuclear physics is a subfield of physics that focuses on the properties and interactions of atomic nuclei and subatomic particles.

Which field has better career opportunities?

Both physics and nuclear physics offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as research, academia, government, and private sector. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.

Is a degree in nuclear physics more difficult than a degree in physics?

Both degrees require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics concepts, but nuclear physics may have more specialized and advanced coursework. However, the difficulty of a degree also depends on the individual's aptitude and dedication.

What are the potential applications of nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics has various applications in fields such as energy production, healthcare, materials science, and national defense. It is also crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.

Can I switch from a physics degree to a nuclear physics degree?

It is possible to switch from a physics degree to a nuclear physics degree, but it may require additional coursework and possibly extending the duration of your studies. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your degree plan.