Deep Space Imaging and stacking images for less noise

In summary, stacking individual exposures can greatly improve the signal to noise ratio and overall detail in astrophotography. There are various software options available for stacking, ranging from free to expensive. These include Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop CC, Nebulosity, and Pixinsight. Learning the art of stretching the RGB color curves is important in bringing out all the details in the final image. Additionally, white balance can be a challenging aspect of stacking and may require some experimentation with color temperature settings. It is also recommended to use RAW image files for stacking.
Yeah, I make sure my my main photo editing screen (a DELL Ultrasharp U2711H) is well calibrated. It is sometimes a bit annoying since a well calibrated screen is rather bright if you turn the lights down in the room.

Likes davenn
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe Canon offers a good AP option with their more recent DSL series. I use APT as my interface, which also appears a good option. I, of course, welcome dissenting opinions.

Chronos said:
I use APT as my interface

not sure what you are referring to ?

... yeah, that didn't really work out on the 5D s(sr) ... the filtering was still too strong

Nikon did a much better job with the D810A which was designed exclusively for AP
with a filtering system in it that specifically enhances the appropriate band pass areas eg Ha
(Hydrogen Alpha)
Because of the huge cost of the D810A and the fact I would have to buy new lenses, I went the other way and bought a Canon 700D and did my own filter mod. This removed the IR filter and the colour bandwidth limiting filter giving a big increase in sensitivity to the red end of the spectrumDave

Last edited: