A new and improved Eta Carina image

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, Dave has been practicing astro image editing and has purchased the Astronomy Tools Actions Set. This set of actions is for Photoshop and helps with various processes needed for astro imaging.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Really been spending time in Photoshop practicing astro image editing ... purchased a set of astro-imaging actions called Astronomy Tools Actions Set
http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_… ...
this is an actions addition for Photoshop

I have been following a video ... http://www.myastronomyjournal.com/DSL…/C002-M31-Walkthrough/
where this guy makes use of many of the action processes with the end result that I have been able to do a new and improved rendition of my Eta Carina image set. 8 x 30sec images stacked in DSS saved as a 16bit TIFF then imported into PS for processing
The 8 images that I used were ones I took back in Feb. of this year

8 x 30sec exposures, 400mm, f5.6, ISO3200 on my Canon 5D Mk3

2016-02 Eta Carina 8x30sec PSeditedsm.jpg
Firstly the 8 RAW images plus 4 x "dark" images from the camera are stacked in DSS ( Deep Sky Stacker), saved as a 16bit TIFF and then loaded into Photoshop for processing
See this thread for recent discussions on using DSS
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/deep-space-imaging-and-stacking-images-for-less-noise.872921/cheers
Dave

Likes Hoophy, Andy Resnick and Borg
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Outstanding Dave! Really nice picture. :smile:

Likes davenn
Thanks mate :wink:

it's a steep learning curve, Photoshop has so many featured and I'm really only scratching the surface
My processing skills are slowly improving

Dave

davenn said:
My processing skills are slowly improving
You're doing quite well so far. I was looking at an APOD photo the other day wondering how amateurs manage to get such great colors.

Likes 1oldman2
Borg said:
You're doing quite well so far. I was looking at an APOD photo the other day wondering how amateurs manage to get such great colors.

thank you

lots and lots if fine processing ... there's many very talented photoshop users out there :wink:
I had 8 x 30 sec images = 4 minutes of total exposure time. That APOD image probably has many more consisting of longer individual exposures
Am working on getting my new tracking system up and running so that I can start doing around 5 minute exposures instead of 30 sec, then stacking a whole bunch of 5 minute exposures.
Then you will see a whole new level to my imaging results :smile:

D

Likes Hoophy, 1oldman2 and Borg
I'll look forward to it. :woot:

What is Eta Carina?

Eta Carina is a massive, luminous, and unstable star located in the Carina constellation. It is one of the most massive stars in our galaxy and has been the subject of scientific research for many years.

What is the significance of a new and improved Eta Carina image?

A new and improved Eta Carina image allows scientists to study the star in greater detail and potentially uncover new information about its structure, behavior, and evolution. It can also provide a better understanding of the processes involved in the formation and destruction of massive stars.

How was the new Eta Carina image captured?

The new Eta Carina image was captured using advanced telescopes and imaging techniques, such as adaptive optics and multi-wavelength observations. These methods allow for a more detailed and accurate representation of the star and its surroundings.

What are some potential discoveries that can be made from the new Eta Carina image?

The new Eta Carina image could potentially reveal new information about the star's mass loss, magnetic fields, and interactions with its surroundings. It could also provide insights into the mechanisms that cause massive stars to explode as supernovas.

How does the new Eta Carina image contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The new Eta Carina image adds to our collective knowledge of the universe by providing a more detailed and accurate representation of one of its most intriguing objects. It also opens up new avenues for research and exploration, leading to potential breakthroughs in our understanding of the cosmos.