Definite integral using only properties

In summary: It's fine, I got it. So, using the property I get ##I_1 = I_0 + \log 2## and ##2I_0 = I_1 + \ln 2## and solving using substitution for ##I_1## and ##I_0##, I get ##I_0 = \frac{1}{3} \ln 2##. In summary, using the property ##∫f(x) = ∫f(a+b-x)## and other identities, we can express the definite integral ##I_1 = \int_0^1 \log(\sin(\pi x)) dx## in terms of ##I_0 = \int_0^1 \log
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

evaluate the following definite integral with limits 0 to 1## ∫log(sin(πx/2)) dx ##

2. The attempt at a solution

I used ##∫f(x) = ∫f(a+b-x)## to get ## I=∫log(cos(πx/2))## with the same limits. Adding them and using ##log(m)+log(n)=log(mn)## and ##2sinxcosx=sin2x## I got ##2I=∫log(sin(πx)) - ∫log2## with same limits. The second part evaluates to ##log2##, I'm stuck on how to solve the first part. I'd appreciate some help, thank you. (Note-minimal use of indefinite integrals is to be done, this is supposed to be solved by properties of definite integrals such as mentioned in my attempt)

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

evaluate the following definite integral with limits 0 to 1## ∫log(sin(πx/2)) dx ##

2. The attempt at a solution

I used ##∫f(x) = ∫f(a+b-x)## to get ## I=∫log(cos(πx/2))## with the same limits. Adding them and using ##log(m)+log(n)=log(mn)## and ##2sinxcosx=sin2x## I got ##2I=∫log(sin(πx)) - ∫log2## with same limits. The second part evaluates to ##log2##, I'm stuck on how to solve the first part. I'd appreciate some help, thank you. (Note-minimal use of indefinite integrals is to be done, this is supposed to be solved by properties of definite integrals such as mentioned in my attempt)

Your LaTeX is very difficult to read. To use LaTeX as it is meant to be used you should type "\log" instead of "log", "\sin" instead of "sin", and "\cos" instead of "cos". Furthermore, you should type "\int_0^1" to get an integral from 0 to 1. When you do all that you get ##\int_0^1 \log( \sin(\pi x /2)) \, dx##, as well as ##\log(m)+\log(n) = \log(mn)## and ##2 \sin x\, \cos x = \sin 2x##, etc.

Ray Vickson said:
Your LaTeX is very difficult to read. To use LaTeX as it is meant to be used you should type "\log" instead of "log", "\sin" instead of "sin", and "\cos" instead of "cos". Furthermore, you should type "\int_0^1" to get an integral from 0 to 1. When you do all that you get ##\int_0^1 \log( \sin(\pi x /2)) \, dx##, as well as ##\log(m)+\log(n) = \log(mn)## and ##2 \sin x\, \cos x = \sin 2x##, etc.
Got it! will keep that in mind from next time, still a major improvement from normal text though- but it'll get better once I follow this. About the question though, any insights?

You didn't explain your work clearly. Let's say the problem is to evaluate ##I_0 = \int_0^1 \log( \sin(\frac{\pi}{2})) dx## and you have it as ##I_0 = ## (some stuff) ## + I_1## where ##I_1 = \int_0^1 \log(\sin(\pi x)) dx##.

Try expressing ##I_1## in terms of ##I_0##.

The area under the graph of ##f_1(x) = \log(\sin(\pi x)) ## from ##x = 0## to ##x = 1## is twice the area under the graph of ##f_1## from ##x = 0 ## to ##x = 1/2##. The graph of ##f_1## from ##x = 0## to ##x = 1/2## is like a contracted version of the graph of ##f_0(x) = \log(\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} x)) ## from ## x = 0## to ##x = 1##.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Got it! will keep that in mind from next time, still a major improvement from normal text though- but it'll get better once I follow this. About the question though, any insights?

Yes, but Stephen Tashi beat me to it.

Stephen Tashi said:
You didn't explain your work clearly. Let's say the problem is to evaluate ##I_0 = \int_0^1 \log( \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})) dx## and you have it as ##I_0 = ## (some stuff) ## + I_1## where ##I_1 = \int_0^1 \log(\sin(\pi x)) dx##.

Try expressing ##I_1## in terms of ##I_0##.

The area under the graph of ##f_1(x) = \log(\sin(\pi x)) ## from ##x = 0## to ##x = 1## is twice the area under the graph of ##f_1## from ##x = 0 ## to ##x = 1/2##. The graph of ##f_1## from ##x = 0## to ##x = 1/2## is like a contracted version of the graph of ##f_0(x) = \log(\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} x)) ## from ## x = 0## to ##x = 1##.
So, trying to express ##I_1 = \int_0^1 \log(\sin(\pi x)) dx## in terms of ##I_0 = \int_0^1 \log( \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})) dx##. I put x=t/2, in ##I_1##therefore dx=dt/2 and limits change from 0 to 2. while I write 1/2 outside (Then writing t as x since changing variable doesn't affect the integral-I feel like I might be wrong here??) I get ## \frac{1}{2} \int_0^2 \log(\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} t))## is equal to ## \frac{1}{2} \int_0^2 \log(\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} x))## I wrote using property-if ##f(x) = f(2a - x)## where upper limit is 2a and lower limit is 0, then it can be written as twice of that integral with half the upper limit- this evaluates to ##I_1 = \int_0^1 \log( \sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})) dx## which is equal to ##I_0## but we have ## \log 2## in RHS...so I get a wrong equation

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
.so I get a wrong equation
What equation are you talking about?

##2I_0 = I_0 - \ln(2)## is solvable

Stephen Tashi said:
What equation are you talking about?

##2I_0 = I_0 - \ln(2)## is solvable
Ohh right! I totally forgot there was 2 in the LHS, sorry...thanks a lot

1. What are the basic properties of definite integrals?

The basic properties of definite integrals include linearity, additivity, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. Linearity states that the integral of a linear combination of functions is equal to the linear combination of the integrals of those functions. Additivity states that the integral of a sum of functions is equal to the sum of the integrals of those functions. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the boundaries of the integration.

2. How do you use the properties of definite integrals to evaluate integrals?

The properties of definite integrals can be used to simplify and evaluate integrals. For example, if a function is a sum of two or more simpler functions, we can use the additivity property to break the integral into separate integrals, each of which can be evaluated using basic integration techniques. Similarly, if a function is a linear combination of simpler functions, we can use the linearity property to simplify the integral.

3. Can the properties of definite integrals be used to solve improper integrals?

Yes, the properties of definite integrals can also be used to solve improper integrals. An improper integral is one where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite or the integrand is undefined at one or more points within the interval of integration. By using the linearity and additivity properties, we can break down the improper integral into simpler integrals that can be evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. How do you prove the properties of definite integrals?

The properties of definite integrals can be proven using mathematical induction, which involves proving the property for a specific case and then showing that it holds for all other cases. Alternatively, the properties can also be derived from the definition of definite integrals and the properties of limits and derivatives.

5. Are there any other properties of definite integrals besides linearity and additivity?

Yes, in addition to linearity and additivity, there are other properties of definite integrals such as the change of variables property, the comparison property, and the symmetry property. The change of variables property allows us to evaluate integrals by substituting a new variable, while the comparison property allows us to compare the values of integrals with different functions. The symmetry property states that the integral of an odd function over a symmetric interval is equal to zero.