Limits and integration problem

In summary: Now, for the integration part, you should be able to evaluate the integral of ##t^7## and ##t^9##. Remember to add the constant of integration.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

if f(x)= lim(n→∞) e^(xtan(1/n)log(1/n)) and ∫f(x)/(sin^11x.cosx)^1/3 dx=g(x)+c, then
1) g(pi/4)=3/2
2) g(x) is continuous for all x
3) g(pi/4)= -15/8
4) g(pi/4)=12

2. The attempt at a solution
Part a-Evaluating the limit, since 1/n tends to 0, log(1/n)→-∞=-n, using tan(1/n)/(1/n)=1, I get f(x)=e^(-x)
Part b-I tried substituting -x=t, which gives -∫e^t/(-sin^11t.cost)...I'm stuck here, would appreciate some insight, also let me know if part a is correct (I'm not very confident)

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

if f(x)= lim(n→∞) e^(xtan(1/n)log(1/n)) and ∫f(x)/(sin^11x.cosx)^1/3 dx=g(x)+c, then
1) g(pi/4)=3/2
2) g(x) is continuous for all x
3) g(pi/4)= -15/8
4) g(pi/4)=12

2. The attempt at a solution
Part a-Evaluating the limit, since 1/n tends to 0, log(1/n)→-∞=-n, using tan(1/n)/(1/n)=1, I get f(x)=e^(-x)
Part b-I tried substituting -x=t, which gives -∫e^t/(-sin^11t.cost)...I'm stuck here, would appreciate some insight, also let me know if part a is correct (I'm not very confident)

No, no, no! You absolutely cannot say that ##\log (1/n) \to -\infty = -n##. There are different "levels" of infinity. For example, ##n/(n^2+n) \to 0##, even though both the numerator and denominator ##\to \infty.##

In fact, ##(1/n) \log(1/n) = (1/n) (- \log n) = - \log(n)/n.## You can evaluate that limit using l'Hospital's rule.

Ray Vickson said:
No, no, no! You absolutely cannot say that ##\log (1/n) \to -\infty = -n##. There are different "levels" of infinity. For example, ##n/(n^2+n) \to 0##, even though both the numerator and denominator ##\to \infty.##

In fact, ##(1/n) \log(1/n) = (1/n) (- \log n) = - \log(n)/n.## You can evaluate that limit using l'Hospital's rule.
ohh, right...I really forgot to revise the chapters I did (sigh!). so -log(n)/n comes out to be -(1/n) which is 0 so f(x) tends to 1, correct?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
ohh, right...I really forgot to revise the chapters I did (sigh!). so -log(n)/n comes out to be -(1/n) which is 0 so f(x) tends to 1, correct?
following that logic, In the integration part I wrote 1/(sin^(11/3)*cos^(1/3), then multiplied and divided by sin^3(x)cos^3(x) which gave cot^2(x)cosec^8(x), putting cosecx=t, it reduced to integral of t^7 - t^9, yet it doesn't give the correct answer
(PS-sorry I didn't write using LaTex, I need some time to learn it)

Last edited:
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Correct.

Related to Limits and integration problem

1. What is the difference between limits and integration in calculus?

Limits and integration are both fundamental concepts in calculus, but they have different purposes. A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. Integration, on the other hand, is the process of finding the area under a curve. In simpler terms, limits deal with the behavior of a function at a certain point, while integration deals with the overall behavior of a function over a range of values.

2. How do you find the limit of a function using algebraic manipulation?

To find the limit of a function using algebraic manipulation, you need to factor the numerator and denominator, cancel out common factors, and then substitute the value of the variable that the function is approaching. If the resulting expression is still undefined, you can use other techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration, also known as antiderivative, is the reverse process of differentiation. It involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given function. On the other hand, definite integration is used to find the exact area under a curve between two specified points. It is denoted by the integral symbol with limits of integration.

4. What are some real-life applications of limits and integration?

Limits and integration are extensively used in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and statistics. In physics, limits and integration are used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other physical quantities. In economics, these concepts are used to determine the optimum production level. In engineering, they are used to analyze complex systems and design structures. In statistics, integration is used to find the probability of an event occurring within a given range.

5. How do you use limits and integration to solve optimization problems?

Optimization problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. To solve such problems, you need to take the derivative of the function, set it equal to zero, and solve for the critical points. Then, you can use the first or second derivative test to determine whether the critical points are maximum or minimum values. Limits and integration are used to find the optimal values that satisfy the given constraints in the problem.