Definite purpose and general purpose contactors

In summary, the conversation was about the difference between definite purpose contactors and general purpose contactors. The participants discussed their understanding of the terms and how they could choose between them. They also mentioned that definite purpose contactors are designed for specific applications and are more rugged compared to general purpose contactors. However, they also noted that there could be variations within these categories depending on the manufacturer.
srinaath
I came across a contactor catalog saying "Definite purpose". Then tried to figure out the types of contactor.
Came across definite purpose and general purpose.
What is meant by definite purpose contactor and general purpose contactor?
On what basis can i choose definite purpose?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I never heard that exact phrase "definite purpose contractor" before. However, when building a house there is usually a general contractor plus electrical, plumbing, landscape, foundation contractors. I suspect that is what is meant.

anorlunda said:
I never heard that exact phrase "definite purpose contractor" before.
Neither I. However, by google the term exists.

But by checking it on the manufacturer pages, I could not find anything specific other than 'a sturdy contactor which we sell for a bit higher price'.

I hope somebody can share some insight.

"Definite purpose" indicates a device designed to operate well within a specific application.

High power DC contactors are definite purpose, for instance, because they have arc blow-out, and other features specific to DC relays not found in general purpose contactors. They are also built more ruggedly than a run-of-the-mill contactor.

On the other hand, DP contactors designed for HVAC applications go the other way, and are less robust than equivalently rated NEMA general purpose contactors. They are physically smaller, their electromagnets aren't as powerful, and contact springs are lighter. The contacts themselves have smaller areas, and are thinner than their NEMA counterparts.

Likes sparkie
LOL. I read the OP as contractor, not contactor. Egg on my face. :DD:DD:DD:DD:DD

1. What is the difference between a definite purpose and general purpose contactor?

A definite purpose contactor is designed for a specific application or function, while a general purpose contactor is more versatile and can be used for a variety of applications.

2. When should I use a definite purpose contactor?

A definite purpose contactor should be used when there is a specific and consistent electrical load, such as a motor or heating element, that needs to be controlled. It is also useful for applications where the environment is harsh or there is a need for high reliability.

3. What are the advantages of using a general purpose contactor?

A general purpose contactor is typically more cost-effective and easier to find compared to definite purpose contactors. It also offers more flexibility as it can be used for a variety of applications and can handle a wider range of electrical loads.

4. Can a definite purpose contactor be used for multiple applications?

No, a definite purpose contactor should only be used for the specific application it is designed for. Using it for other applications can result in malfunction and potential safety hazards.

5. How do I select the right contactor for my application?

When selecting a contactor, consider the electrical load requirements, environmental conditions, and reliability needs of your application. For specific or harsh applications, a definite purpose contactor may be more suitable, while a general purpose contactor may be a better choice for more versatile applications.