Deformation in static and transient case

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of forces and deformation on a solenoid due to the magnetic field it produces. The speaker has conducted both analytic and FEM simulations for the static case, with a maximum displacement of 35mm. For the transient case, the current pulse is 2nsec at FWHM and tails extend for 5nsec, resulting in a smaller displacement of 2mm. The group is discussing whether an impulsive force, such as a Delta impulse in time, is less efficient in deforming a body compared to a continuous force. They are seeking references to further understand this topic.
1Keenan
Hi all,

I have a doubt that I would like to solve with oyu help.
Basically I want to calculate forces on a solenoid due to the magnetic field it produces and than calculate deformation.

I consider 2 cases:
1/ Static
I did analytic calculation for force calculation, and i made FEM simulation in the static case to calculate also the displacement.
Force value is numerically in agreement with analytic result and I trust diplacement magnitude as I'm not expert in mechanical stress. result is 35mm as maximum displacement

2/ Transient
Current pulse in the solenoid is 2nsec at FWHM and tails exted for something like 5nsec, so I implement transiet simulation.
Force maximum value is the same as in the static case, but displacement is much smaller (2mm)

Now it make sense to me that such fast and impulsive stress is not very efficient, but mine is just a feeling and I would like to understand if it is correct or not and why.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Please start again and tell us clearly what you at doing and why .

more in general I want to understand if it is true or not that an impulsive force, something a Delta impulse in time, is not able to deform a body as if the same stress act for a long time.

Don't you think that applying a force continuously would give a larger displacement than applying a force and then almost immediately removing it?

Yes, this is what I think and why I said I have the feeling sounds logical, but I would like to have some reference I can read on this topic

1. What is deformation in the context of static and transient cases?

Deformation refers to the change in shape or size of an object caused by an applied force or load. It can occur in both static (constant applied load) and transient (changing applied load) cases.

2. How does deformation differ in static and transient cases?

In static cases, deformation is a result of the balance between the applied load and the object's resistance to deformation. In transient cases, deformation can occur due to changes in the applied load over time, causing the object to undergo dynamic changes in shape or size.

3. What factors affect the amount of deformation in static and transient cases?

The amount of deformation in both static and transient cases depends on the material properties of the object, the magnitude and direction of the applied load, and the time duration of the applied load. Other factors, such as temperature and environmental conditions, can also play a role in deformation.

4. How is deformation measured in static and transient cases?

In static cases, deformation is typically measured using strain gauges or extensometers, which can detect changes in length or shape of the object. In transient cases, high-speed cameras or other motion tracking devices may be used to measure the dynamic changes in deformation over time.

5. Can deformation in static and transient cases be predicted or controlled?

Yes, deformation can be predicted and controlled to a certain extent in both static and transient cases. Finite element analysis and other mathematical models can be used to predict deformation in various scenarios. In terms of control, using materials with higher strength and stiffness can help minimize deformation, and proper design and engineering can also play a role in reducing deformation in both static and transient cases.