Degrees of freedom of a water molecule

In summary: So, if you have a molecule that is essentially rigid, then it has six degrees of freedom?Yes, but my (limited) understanding is that for the purposes of equipartition a molecule that is essential a rod is not accorded one for a spin about that axis.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
List all the degrees of freedom, or as many as you can, for a
molecule of water vapor. (Think carefully about the various ways in which the
molecule can vibrate.)
Relevant Equations
There is no.
Well, first of all is really good to say that we don't can appeal to quantum mechanics...
So, i can see:
Three degree of freedoms in translation on a space xyz +3 degree
Three normal modes of vibration, but each normal mode has with it a potential and vibrational kinetic energy, so +6 degree

The problem is rotation, how can i know what directions can i molecule rotation?

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
but each normal mode has with it a potential and vibrational kinetic energy
Yes, but the two forms of energy do not constitute separate modes.

Wrt rotation, I believe water molecules are sufficiently nonlinear to be counted as having three rotational degrees of freedom.

Likes etotheipi
haruspex said:

Wrt rotation, I believe water molecules are sufficiently nonlinear to be counted as having three rotational degrees of freedom.
The H-O bonds enclose 105 degrees, so the molecule is definitely nonlinear. The rotational modes are around three axes, two of them in the molecular plane and one perpendicular to it.
1595575540537.png

http://www.xaktly.com/Water.html

Likes LCSphysicist, Delta2 and etotheipi
haruspex said:
It does if you're counting degrees of freedom for the equipartition theorem.

Likes LCSphysicist
haruspex said:

As @vela said, i need to account the two types of energy, potential and kinect ;)
ehild said:
The H-O bonds enclose 105 degrees, so the molecule is definitely nonlinear. The rotational modes are around three axes, two of them in the molecular plane and one perpendicular to it.
View attachment 266777
http://www.xaktly.com/Water.html
This is a really good image, so nonlinear molecules always has three degree wrt rotation?

Well, with this +3 deegre, we get 12, the answer...

LCSphysicist said:
This is a really good image, so nonlinear molecules always has three degree wrt rotation?
yes.

Likes LCSphysicist
vela said:
It does if you're counting degrees of freedom for the equipartition theorem.
Ah, yes - I see why that is so. Thanks.

Likes LCSphysicist
any free rigid body has 6 degrees of freedom

wrobel said:
any free rigid body has 6 degrees of freedom
Yes, but my (limited) understanding is that for the purposes of equipartition a molecule that is essential a rod is not accorded one for a spin about that axis.

What is the definition of degrees of freedom of a water molecule?

The degrees of freedom of a water molecule refers to the number of independent ways in which the molecule can move and vibrate.

How many degrees of freedom does a water molecule have?

A water molecule has three degrees of freedom, which correspond to its three vibrational modes: symmetric stretch, asymmetric stretch, and bend.

What are the vibrational modes of a water molecule?

The vibrational modes of a water molecule are symmetric stretch, asymmetric stretch, and bend. These modes describe the movement of the molecule's atoms as they vibrate.

Why is the degrees of freedom of a water molecule important?

The degrees of freedom of a water molecule are important because they determine the molecule's ability to store and transfer energy. This is crucial for many chemical and physical processes, such as heat transfer and chemical reactions.

How does temperature affect the degrees of freedom of a water molecule?

As temperature increases, the degrees of freedom of a water molecule also increase. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecule to vibrate and move, resulting in more degrees of freedom.