Why does Water Vapor have 12 degrees of freedom?

In summary, a molecule's degrees of freedom can be broken down into translation, rotation, and vibration. For water vapor, there are 3 translational degrees of freedom, 3 rotational degrees of freedom, and 6 vibrational degrees of freedom, for a total of 12 quadratic degrees of freedom. This is because each normal mode of vibration corresponds to 2 quadratic degrees of freedom. While CO2 has 3 translational and 2 rotational degrees of freedom due to its linear shape, H2O has 3 translational, 3 rotational, and 6 vibrational degrees of freedom due to its bent shape. The three modes of vibration for molecules are stretching, flexing, and twisting, and these can be observed through
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

How many degrees of freedom does water vapor have

Homework Equations

Translational up to 3
rotational up to 3
Vibration up to 6

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I said water vapor had 3 translational. It can move along the x, y, or z axis

I said it had 2 rotational (the answer is three because it doesn't have symmetry?) I said it had symmetry. The book said Carbon dioxide had symmetry so only 2 degrees of freedom. CO2 and H2O pretty much have the same shape don't they? so why does H2O not have symmetry?

as far as vibration goes, I said 4. The answer is 6. I don't really understand the difference between the three.

so: why doesn't H2O have symmetry
and what are the three modes of vibration. (stretching, flexing, and twisting)

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't have 12 degrees of freedom. A molecule has 3N degrees of freedom, where N is the number of atoms, since you need to specify 3 coordinates for each atom.

You indeed have 3 degrees of freedom for translation (center of mass coordinates), and generally you have 3 for rotation (since three Euler angles need to be specified to orient a body in space). The rest, 3N - 6, correspond to vibration (relative position of the atoms relative to each other).

There is a special case for linear molecules, since there is no rotation along the internuclear axis, so that leaves 3N - 5 dof for vibration. the extra dof appears because the bending mode is now degenerate.

DrClaude said:
It can't have 12 degrees of freedom. A molecule has 3N degrees of freedom, where N is the number of atoms, since you need to specify 3 coordinates for each atom.

You indeed have 3 degrees of freedom for translation (center of mass coordinates), and generally you have 3 for rotation (since three Euler angles need to be specified to orient a body in space). The rest, 3N - 6, correspond to vibration (relative position of the atoms relative to each other).

There is a special case for linear molecules, since there is no rotation along the internuclear axis, so that leaves 3N - 5 dof for vibration. the extra dof appears because the bending mode is now degenerate.

the 12 is in the soln. manual

3 for translation
3 for rotation
and 6 for vibration.

Not saying you are wrong, but that I don't understand. Can you explain it again? We are not into the quantum mechanics and so forth of it. just that
f can equal up to 3 for translation
f can equal up to 3 for rotation
and f can equal up to 6 for vibration (there are three modes of vibration but each mode of vibration is equal to 2 for potential and kinetic energies

grandpa2390 said:
the 12 is in the soln. manual
May I inquire the authorship of this "solutions manual?"

I get it now. Usually, the point is to get the number of vibrationsl modes. In your case, what is asked for is the number of quadratic degrees of freedom. Since each normal mode of vibration corresponds to two quadratic degrees of freedom, so the total is 12.

As for your original question, the point is that for a linear molecule like CO2, rotation along the internuclear axis doesn't count (where each atom would only be turning on itself). That's why you then get only 2 rotational degrees of freedom.

Even if water possesses symmetry, there is still three ways it can rotate.

Likes grandpa2390
DrClaude said:
I get it now. Usually, the point is to get the number of vibrationsl modes. In your case, what is asked for is the number of quadratic degrees of freedom. Since each normal mode of vibration corresponds to two quadratic degrees of freedom, so the total is 12.

As for your original question, the point is that for a linear molecule like CO2, rotation along the internuclear axis doesn't count (where each atom would only be turning on itself). That's why you then get only 2 rotational degrees of freedom.

Even if water possesses symmetry, there is still three ways it can rotate.

but why can in it rotate three ways and not carbon dioxide? I'd ask if this is something to be memorized, but the textbook asked the question right after the discussion. So I should have been able to tell based on the reading.

and what are the difference between the 3 vibrational modes. How can I tell whether a molecule possesses one two or all three. The book said that solids have all three, but for everything else...

CO2 has all three atoms in a straight line (included angle between the O atoms is180o). That means one rotation axis, the line that goes thru all three atoms, does not change the orientation of the molecule.

In H2O the two H atoms have an included angle to the O atom of 104.5o. Therefore, any rotation axis you pick wil reorient the molecule.

Likes grandpa2390
Tom.G said:
CO2 has all three atoms in a straight line (included angle between the O atoms is180o). That means one rotation axis, the line that goes thru all three atoms, does not change the orientation of the molecule.

In H2O the two H atoms have an included angle to the O atom of 104.5o. Therefore, any rotation axis you pick wil reorient the molecule.
I did not realize the CO2 was a straight line. So even though H2O has "symmetry" I it rotate out of the page, there is a difference in appearance. Thanks.

Now can you explain the different modes of vibration to me?

1. Why does water vapor have 12 degrees of freedom?

Water vapor has 12 degrees of freedom because it is a triatomic molecule with three atoms bonded together. This means it has three translational degrees of freedom, three rotational degrees of freedom, and six vibrational degrees of freedom.

2. How do the degrees of freedom affect the behavior of water vapor?

The degrees of freedom affect the behavior of water vapor by determining its ability to store and release energy through translational, rotational, and vibrational motion. This energy can affect properties such as temperature, pressure, and phase changes.

3. Can water vapor have more or less than 12 degrees of freedom?

Yes, water vapor can have more or less than 12 degrees of freedom depending on its temperature and pressure. At low temperatures, some of the vibrational degrees of freedom may be frozen out, resulting in fewer than 12 degrees of freedom. At high temperatures, additional rotational and vibrational modes may become excited, resulting in more than 12 degrees of freedom.

4. How does the degree of freedom of water vapor compare to other molecules?

The degree of freedom of water vapor is similar to other triatomic molecules, such as carbon dioxide, which also have 12 degrees of freedom. However, it is different from diatomic molecules, such as oxygen and nitrogen, which only have five degrees of freedom.

5. What is the significance of water vapor having 12 degrees of freedom?

The significance of water vapor having 12 degrees of freedom is that it allows for a wide range of behavior and properties. This is important in understanding the behavior of water vapor in various environments, such as the Earth's atmosphere and chemical reactions involving water vapor.