Delay and Sum Beamforming Equation Derivation

In summary: To get eqn 1 into this form we had to assume that M=2*M1/2+1. So in short, to get eqn 1 into this form we need to know M and M1/2.
mastrepolo

Homework Statement

I have to simplify this beam form (equation 1) which simplifies to equation 2 and then finally to equation 3.

Homework Equations

equation 1: e^-ix((1-e^y)/(1-e^z)) where x = Beta*M_(1/2), y = beta*M, z= Beta

equation 2: sin(M*Beta/2)/(sin(Beta/2))

equation 3: M((sinc(M*Beta/2pi))/(sinc(Beta/2pi))) where sinc(x) = sin(pi*x)/pi*x

Eulors: e^jx = cos(x) +j*sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tries to use eulors equation to change it to sine sand cosine but I can't seem to get the proper cancellations i am looking for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mastrepolo said:
equation 1: e^-ix((1-e^y)/(1-e^z)) where x = Beta*M_(1/2), y = beta*M, z= Beta
What is M_(1/2)?
Do you mean ##e^{-i\frac{\beta}2(M-1)}\frac{1-e^{i\beta M}}{1-e^{i\beta}}##?

Sorry about the late response. It is M1/2 as a subscript, I attached a picture. I am going to the math department for some guidance since I can't seem to figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.15.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 9.15.20 PM.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 394
mastrepolo said:
It is M1/2 as a subscript,
So what is the relationship between that and M? To get your eqn 2 I need it to equal (M-1)/2.

haruspex said:
So what is the relationship between that and M? To get your eqn 2 I need it to equal (M-1)/2.

To get it in this form we had to assume M = 2*M1/2+1. so . There were some other step to get it into the equation form but this is where it originated from.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.45.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.45.29 PM.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 375
mastrepolo said:
To get it in this form
Are you saying to get eqn 1 you already assumed that?
I assume you know how to write sin x in terms of eix.
Can you see how to write 1-e-ix as some function f(x) multiplied by a sine function (not necessarily sin(x), exactly).

1. What is delay and sum beamforming?

Delay and sum beamforming is a signal processing technique used to enhance the reception of a desired signal while suppressing interference and noise. It involves delaying and adding the received signals from multiple microphones to create a beam that is directed towards the desired sound source.

2. How does the delay and sum beamforming equation work?

The delay and sum beamforming equation uses the principle of superposition, which states that the total response at a point is equal to the sum of the individual responses at that point. In this case, the individual responses are the delayed and weighted signals from each microphone, which are then added together to create a stronger and more focused beam towards the desired sound source.

3. What are the key parameters in the delay and sum beamforming equation?

The key parameters in the delay and sum beamforming equation include the delays applied to each microphone signal, the weights assigned to each microphone, and the number of microphones used. The delays and weights are determined based on the distance and direction of the desired sound source, while the number of microphones affects the spatial resolution and overall performance of the beamforming system.

4. How is the delay and sum beamforming equation derived?

The delay and sum beamforming equation is derived using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms and vector algebra. It involves manipulating the signals from multiple microphones in the frequency domain and taking into account the spatial and temporal characteristics of the sound field. The final equation is a result of optimizing the beamforming system to achieve the desired directional response.

5. What are the advantages of using the delay and sum beamforming equation?

The delay and sum beamforming equation offers several advantages, including improved signal-to-noise ratio, increased directional sensitivity, and flexibility in adjusting the beamforming parameters. It also allows for the localization and separation of multiple sound sources, making it useful in various applications such as speech recognition, noise cancellation, and acoustic imaging.