Delete a shortcut or land a man on the moon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the slow speed of deleting shortcuts on a computer and why it takes so much processing power and time. The speaker also mentions that this issue is more prevalent in the Windows operating system and suggests using Linux as an alternative. The slow speed is attributed to the numerous permission and registry checks that the OS performs before deleting the shortcut, as well as the inefficient filesystem.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Dear Mr. Gates:

My computer has enough flops to count every man woman and child on the face of the Earth in the time it takes my heart to beat twice. Why oh why then, is a simple operation like deleting a shortcut such an incredibly time- and resource-consuming task? It takes, like, 30 seconds to delete a single shortcut. That's something like 60 Gigaflops.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I seriously doubt the processing power factors in at all. You could be running a flops-intensive task at the same time as deleting the shortcut and it wouldn't be slowed.

(Of course, if you're doing this in Vista, I feel you -- very poorly designed there!)

Minor note: 30 seconds * 2 Gflops = 60 Gflop, not 60 Gflops; the seconds cancel.

CRGreathouse said:
I seriously doubt the processing power factors in at all. You could be running a flops-intensive task at the same time as deleting the shortcut.
Happens every time*. There's something highly time-consuming about this menial task. I'm on XP.

*that is, every first time. Subsequent deletions are fast. Makes me wonder if the Deletion Daemon is not a "morning [strike]person[/strike] daemon".

A lot of the overhead is the permission and registry checks. The OS does a million checks first to see if deleting the shortcut (or any file) is going to screw up the operation of any programs, or prevent you from being able to run them. It has to hit the disk in eight million places to do all these checks, and most of the delay is your hard drive seeking around. It has to check for permissions, which also takes time since there's a ton of unnecessary network infrastructure, layers of software, and cryptographic bull built into it. Finally it has to journal the filesystem transaction, which involves a few more disk hits, and then the deletion actually occurs. The deletion itself is probably a couple of milliseconds.

You could use an operating system like Linux if you prefer. There is no registry, it doesn't care if you screw up your programs, the permissions are just a couple of bits in a field, and the filesystem is more efficient than NTFS. You type rm and the file is deleted pretty much instantaneously. It takes longer for the shell to print its subsequent prompt than it does for the deletion to actually occur.

- Warren

Last edited:
chroot said:
A lot of the overhead is the permission and registry checks. The OS does a million checks first to see if deleting the shortcut (or any file) is going to screw up the operation of any programs, or prevent you from being able to run them. It has to hit the disk in eight million places to do all these checks, and most of the delay is your hard drive seeking around. It has to check for permissions, which also takes time since there's a ton of unnecessary network infrastructure, layers of software, and cryptographic bull built into it. Finally it has to journal the filesystem transaction, which involves a few more disk hits, and then the deletion actually occurs. The deletion itself is probably a couple of milliseconds.
Yeah, kind of puts a dent in the whole "convenient feature" philosophy.

Related to Delete a shortcut or land a man on the moon?

1. How do I delete a shortcut on my computer?

To delete a shortcut on your computer, simply right-click on the shortcut and select "Delete" from the drop-down menu. You can also select the shortcut and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard.

2. Can I delete a shortcut without affecting the original file?

Yes, deleting a shortcut will only remove the shortcut itself and will not affect the original file. The original file will still be accessible and can be opened from its original location.

3. How do astronauts land on the moon?

Astronauts land on the moon by using a spacecraft called the Lunar Module (LM). The LM descends towards the moon's surface using rocket-powered thrusters and then lands softly on the surface using landing gear. The astronauts then exit the LM and step onto the moon's surface.

4. What is the purpose of landing a man on the moon?

The purpose of landing a man on the moon was to demonstrate technological and scientific advancements, as well as to explore and study the moon's surface. This achievement also served as a symbol of international competition and cooperation during the Cold War.

5. How many times has a man landed on the moon?

As of 2021, a total of 12 men have landed on the moon as part of the Apollo missions from 1969 to 1972. The first person to land on the moon was Neil Armstrong in 1969 during the Apollo 11 mission.