Deleting metadata: Any good tools?

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I suspect some of the same, blackmail emails I've received may be the result if my carelessness in not clearing , cleaning/wiping out the metadata in some of the links, pics I've posted. I doubt PF is part of the problem, but likely others are.
Is there some good freeware to wipe it clean before posting? Is there something I can do now that the cat's out of the bag and my (meta)data is out there in Russia or one of the -stans?
TIA.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you generate a link using a search tool - like Google - then there will be "metadata" after the "?" in the url. That data is normally used to track you (as a search tool user) and allows results-based advertisement billing and in the selection of the ads shown to you later (although most of that will have been collected before you open the link).

To create a "clean link", I simply remove any long cryptic strings from the url and try out that new trim url. If that works, I then check to see if there are other parts of the url that may be unneeded.

As far as photos are concerned, you can import it into GIMP and then export it to an *.jpg file without metadata. With a bit more skill and research, GIMP allows "batch" processing of files, so you can clean up many pictures at once.
You can then check the result by looking at the file properties.

Likes harborsparrow and WWGD
.Scott said:
If you generate a link using a search tool - like Google - then there will be "metadata" after the "?" in the url. That data is normally used to track you (as a search tool user) and allows results-based advertisement billing and in the selection of the ads shown to you later (although most of that will have been collected before you open the link).
If he uses DuckDuckGo for his search engine will it still do that? I know that DuckDuckGo promotes itself as the search tool to use to prevent unwanted tracking and advertisements. That is why I switched to it, but I have not examined the results.

Likes WWGD

1. What is metadata and why should I consider deleting it?

Metadata is data that provides information about other data. For example, in the context of photographs, metadata can include details like the date and time the photo was taken, the location, the camera settings, and more. Deleting metadata can help protect your privacy, especially when sharing files online, as it removes potentially sensitive information that could be used to track your activities or location.

2. What are some good tools for deleting metadata?

There are several tools available that can help you delete metadata from files effectively. For photos, ExifTool and Metadata++ are popular choices. For documents, Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat offer options to remove personal information before sharing files. Additionally, there are online tools like Smallpdf and online-convert.com that can strip metadata from various file types.

3. Is it safe to use online tools to remove metadata?

While online tools are convenient for removing metadata, it's important to consider the privacy and security implications of uploading potentially sensitive files to a third-party server. If you choose to use online tools, make sure they are from reputable sources and check their privacy policies to understand how your data will be handled. For highly sensitive files, it's recommended to use offline tools to ensure your data does not leave your device.

4. Can removing metadata from files affect their functionality?

Removing metadata typically does not affect the primary function of a file. For instance, deleting metadata from an image will not change its visual appearance. However, certain metadata can be useful for organization or editing purposes, such as file creation dates or author information. Therefore, consider whether this information is crucial for your needs before removing it.

5. How can I ensure that all metadata has been completely removed from a file?

To ensure that all metadata is removed, it's a good idea to use reliable and comprehensive tools specifically designed for metadata removal, such as ExifTool for images. After removing metadata, you can use the same tool or another metadata viewer to check the file again and confirm that no metadata remains. This double-checking process helps ensure that your files are clean before you share or store them securely.