Delta function for \nabla(log s), where s = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}

In summary, the conversation discusses using the divergence theorem and laplacian in polar coordinates to solve a problem involving a two-dimensional region. It also mentions the importance of considering the origin when using these methods.
zhuang382
Homework Statement
What is ∇^2ln s in two dimensions where s =√x2+y2
Relevant Equations
delta function homework problem
My intuition for this problem is to use divergence theorem:

## \int_V \nabla^2 u dV = \int_S \nabla u \cdot \vec{n} dS##

But note that ##\vec{n}## is perpendicular to x-y plane, and makes ##\int_S \nabla \ln s \cdot \vec{n} dS = 0##

If we take laplacian in polar coordinate directly, then ##\nabla^2 \ln s = 0##

Can someone helps me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\nabla## is defined as ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\vec{i} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\vec{j}## in two dimensions, why wouldn't you just compute the partial derivatives and see what you get? Also...I don't see a delta function from the title mentioned anywhere. Maybe you meant 'del', meaning ##\nabla##?

Likes zhuang382
zhuang382 said:
My intuition for this problem is to use divergence theorem:

## \int_V \nabla^2 u dV = \int_S \nabla u \cdot \vec{n} dS##

But note that ##\vec{n}## is perpendicular to x-y plane, and makes ##\int_S \nabla \ln s \cdot \vec{n} dS = 0##
In two dimensions, ##V## would be an area in the ##xy## plane, and ##S## would be the boundary of that area.

If we take laplacian in polar coordinate directly, then ##\nabla^2 \ln s = 0##
This result is only valid in the region ##s>0##. You do need to keep in mind that you've excluded the origin.

Likes zhuang382

1. What is the delta function for \nabla(log s)?

The delta function for \nabla(log s) is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to represent the rate of change of the logarithm of a function s with respect to its variables x and y. It is often denoted as \delta(\nabla(log s)).

2. How is the delta function for \nabla(log s) related to the function s = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}?

The function s = \sqrt{x^2+y^2} is the magnitude of the vector \nabla(log s), which represents the direction and rate of change of the function s. Therefore, the delta function for \nabla(log s) captures the change in direction and magnitude of s at a specific point.

3. What is the purpose of using the delta function for \nabla(log s)?

The delta function for \nabla(log s) is useful in many areas of physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows us to describe and analyze the behavior of a system at a specific point, taking into account both the direction and rate of change of the function s.

4. How is the delta function for \nabla(log s) calculated?

The delta function for \nabla(log s) is calculated using the partial derivatives of the function s with respect to its variables x and y. It is defined as the limit of a sequence of functions that approximate the behavior of s at a specific point.

5. Can the delta function for \nabla(log s) be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, the delta function for \nabla(log s) can be extended to functions with any number of variables. It is a fundamental concept in multivariable calculus and is used to study the behavior of functions in higher dimensions.