Delta written as Minkowski metric ?

In summary, the Minkowski metric is used to represent the commutation relations between the momentum and position operators in quantum mechanics. It is defined as ##\eta_{\nu \mu} = \delta^\nu_\mu##, with the addition of a negative sign when the indices are reversed. This metric allows us to express the commutation relations in a more compact and convenient form.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

IMG_0871.jpg

Hi, I am just stuck in why / how we can write minkowski metric where I would usually write delta.

I see that the product rule is used in the first term to cancel the terms in the second term since partials commute for a scalar and so we are left with the d rivative acting on a x terms.

I would usually write ##\frac{\partial x^v}{\partial x ^y} = \delta ^{(4)v} _y ##

How is this equivalent to the minkowski metric ?

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

Above

Many thanks [/B]

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
Hi, I am just stuck in why / how we can write minkowski metric where I would usually write delta.

The metric comes into play because:

##[p_\mu, x^\nu] = -i \hbar \delta^\nu_\mu## as you would expect, but

##[p_\mu, x_\nu] = -i \hbar \eta_{\nu \mu}##

The ##\eta_{\nu \mu}## is part of the definition of ##x_\nu##: ##x_\nu = \eta_{\nu \lambda} x^\lambda##

1. What is the Minkowski metric?

The Minkowski metric, also known as the Minkowski spacetime or spacetime interval, is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to describe the distance between two events in spacetime.

2. How is the Minkowski metric represented?

The Minkowski metric is often represented using the Greek letter Delta (Δ) in equations, where it is used to calculate the spacetime interval between two events.

3. What is the significance of the Minkowski metric in special relativity?

The Minkowski metric is an essential tool in special relativity, as it allows us to calculate the spacetime interval between two events, which is invariant (unchanged) for all observers in different reference frames. This is a fundamental concept in special relativity, as it helps us understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

4. How does the Minkowski metric relate to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Minkowski metric is often compared to the Pythagorean theorem, as it has a similar form. However, unlike the Pythagorean theorem, which calculates the distance between two points in Euclidean space, the Minkowski metric calculates the spacetime interval between two events in spacetime.

5. Can the Minkowski metric be used in other branches of physics?

Yes, the Minkowski metric has applications in other fields of physics, such as general relativity and quantum field theory. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and tensor calculus.