Density matrix of an ammonia molecule

In summary, the density matrix has an imaginary term multiplying an external product, so the state is not correct.
Lebnm
Homework Statement
Consider a ammonia molecule ##NH_{3}##. The ##N## atom can be above (state ##| + \rangle## or below (state ##| - \rangle##) the plane formed by the ##H## atoms. The hamiltonian of the system ##\hat{H}## is showed below, writed in the ##\left \{ |+ \rangle, |- \rangle \right \}## basis. Knowing that in ##t = 0## the system is in the state ##| + \rangle##, the objective is determine the density matrix ##\rho## at any time ##t > 0##.
Relevant Equations
H = \begin{pmatrix}
E_{0} & -A\\
-A & E_{0}
\end{pmatrix}
In ##t = 0##, we have ##\rho (0) = | + \rangle \langle + |##. The time evolution of the density matrix is given by ##\rho(t) = e^{-i\hat{H}t} \rho (0) e^{i\hat{H}t}## (I am considering ##\hbar = 1##). I can write the state ##| + \rangle ## as a linear combination of the eigenstates of the hamiltonian. Making this, it's easy to compute the actions of the time evolutions operators. So I get the ##\rho (t)## writed white the eigenkets of ##\hat{H}##. Writing these eigenkets in the basis ##\left \{ |+ \rangle, |- \rangle \right \}##, I get the following result: $$\rho (t) = \frac{1}{2}\left \{ \left [ 1 + cos(2At) ] | + \rangle \langle + | + [1 - cos(2At)] | - \rangle \langle - | + sin(2At)| - \rangle \langle + | - sin(2At)| + \rangle \langle - | \right ] \right \}.$$It look likes wrong to me, because of the two last terms. If they were canceled, this density matrix would make sense, but the sum of them is not zero, is it? So it's more likely that I missed the calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot a couple of ##i##'s.

How so?

How did you get the sines?

I will put the calculations: being ##| 1 \rangle## and ##| 2 \rangle## the eigenstates of ##\hat{H}## with eigenvalues ##E_{0} - A## and ##E_{0} + A##, respectively. So $$| 1 \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}( |+\rangle + |-\rangle ),$$ $$| 2 \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}( |+\rangle - |- \rangle).$$ Writing ##\rho(0)## using these kets and applying the time evolutions operators to them, we get $$\rho (t) = \frac{1}{2}\left ( |1 \rangle \langle 1 | + e^{-i2At}|1 \rangle \langle 2 | + e^{i2At}|2 \rangle \langle 1 | + |2 \rangle \langle 2 |\right ).$$ Rewriting this in the ##\left\{ |+\rangle, |-\rangle \right\}## basis, we have $$\rho (t) = \frac{1}{4} \left [ (|+ \rangle \langle + | - |+ \rangle \langle - | - |- \rangle \langle + | + |- \rangle \langle - |) \\ + e^{-i2At}(|+ \rangle \langle + | + |+ \rangle \langle - | - |- \rangle \langle + | - |- \rangle \langle - |) \\ + e^{i2At}(|+ \rangle \langle + | - |+ \rangle \langle - | + |- \rangle \langle + | - |- \rangle \langle - |)\\ + (|+ \rangle \langle + | + |+ \rangle \langle - | + |- \rangle \langle + | + |- \rangle \langle - |) \right ].$$ From this follow my answer. I get the sines combining the exponentials.

$$
e^{-i 2 At} - e^{i 2 At} = -2 i \sin(2 A t)
$$

Oh, it's true... I don't believe I have forgotten this haha. But my density matrix is incorret, isn't it? it couldn't have a imaginary factor multiplying an external product...

I didn't check the calculation, but having ##i## in the off-diagonal elements is fine as long as your density matrix is Hermitian.

1. What is a density matrix?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that contains information about the probabilities of different states of the system. It is often used to describe the behavior of a collection of particles, such as molecules.

2. How is the density matrix of an ammonia molecule calculated?

The density matrix of an ammonia molecule is calculated by taking the outer product of the wavefunctions of the individual atoms in the molecule. This results in a 9x9 matrix, with each element representing the probability amplitude of a specific state of the molecule.

3. What does the density matrix of an ammonia molecule tell us?

The density matrix of an ammonia molecule provides information about the distribution of its electrons and their probabilities of being in different states. It can also be used to calculate properties such as the dipole moment and polarizability of the molecule.

4. How does the density matrix change with temperature?

The density matrix of an ammonia molecule changes with temperature due to the effect of thermal energy on the probabilities of different states. As the temperature increases, the probabilities of higher energy states also increase, leading to changes in the density matrix.

5. Can the density matrix of an ammonia molecule be experimentally measured?

Yes, the density matrix of an ammonia molecule can be experimentally measured using techniques such as electron diffraction or spectroscopy. These methods allow for the determination of the probabilities of different states and the overall behavior of the molecule.