Derivation of self inductance formula in an LC circuit

In summary, the conversation is about using the formula L = 1/(4π^2 . f^2 . C) to verify the self inductance of a coil by measuring the resonant frequencies in an LC circuit. The formula is provided by the mentor and involves using the capacitance and different resonant frequencies. The question is how this formula relates to the general formula for self inductance of a coil and what other values will be used for comparison.
PratyashAstro
My observation is to verify self inductance formula by measuring the resonant frequencies of different coils in an LC circuit.For this, I am asked to use this formula by my mentor :

L = 1/(4π^2 . f^2 . C)

Here,
f = different resonant frequencies,
C = capacitance of the capacitor in the LC circuit.How can this be derived from the general formula of self inductance of a coil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PratyashAstro said:
My observation is to verify self inductance formula by measuring the resonant frequencies of different coils in an LC circuit.For this, I am asked to use this formula by my mentor :

L = 1/(4π^2 . f^2 . C)

Here,
C = capacitance of the capacitor in the LC circuit.How can this be derived from the general formula of self inductance of a coil?

Welcome to the PF.

What reading have you been doing about this subject? Can you post some links to websites that discuss LC resonance?

PratyashAstro said:

L = 1/(4π^2 . f^2 . C)

Here,
What are you going to compare the experimental value (formula by your mentor)with? Is the inductance already known to you?

1. What is self inductance in an LC circuit?

Self inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to generate an electromotive force (EMF) in itself when the current passing through it changes. It is represented by the symbol L and is measured in units of Henrys (H).

2. How is self inductance calculated in an LC circuit?

The self inductance in an LC circuit can be calculated using the formula L = (μrμ0N^2A)/l, where μr is the relative permeability of the circuit material, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the circuit, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

3. What is the role of self inductance in an LC circuit?

Self inductance plays a crucial role in an LC circuit as it affects the rate at which energy is stored in the circuit. It also influences the frequency at which the circuit oscillates and the amplitude of the oscillations.

4. How does the self inductance formula change for different types of circuits?

The self inductance formula stays the same for all types of circuits, but the value of μr and N may vary depending on the type of circuit. For example, in a solenoid, the value of μr will be different than in a flat spiral coil.

5. Can self inductance be negative in an LC circuit?

No, self inductance cannot be negative in an LC circuit. It is always a positive value and represents the ability of the circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.