Derivation of the expansion of the potential in rectangular coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the expansion of a function in rectangular coordinates using equations from a specific textbook. The conversation also mentions the use of Taylor series and provides the expansion for the function. The expert advises the individual to make time to solve the problem and provides step-by-step instructions for calculating the dipole term of the function. The individual is advised to work out the quadrupole terms on their own.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I want to derive the expansion of ##\Phi(x)## in rectangular coordinates:

$$ \Phi(\vec{x}) = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \bigg[ \frac{q}{r}+\frac{\vec{p}\cdot \vec{x}}{r^3}+\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i,j} Q_{ij} \frac{x_ix_j}{r^5}+\ldots\bigg]$$

Homework Equations

$$\vec{p}= \int \vec{x}' \rho (\vec{x}') d^3 x'$$
$$Q_{ij}=\int (3x_i'x_j'-r'^2\delta_{ij})\rho (\vec{x}')d^3x'$$
$$q=\int \rho(\vec{x}') dx'$$
$$\Phi(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho (\vec{x}')}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}d^3 x'$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have time to make the calculations by myself, if you know some derivation in the net of this identity, one needs to expand the ##1/|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|## by Taylor series.

I tried googling for the answer but didn't find a derivation in the notation of Jackson's.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I don't have time to make the calculations by myself
Sorry but, to be frank, you need to make time. The point of homework is to learn how to solve the problems on your own.
one needs to expand the 1/|⃗x−⃗x′|1/|x→−x→′|1/|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'| by Taylor series.
If you are using Jackon's ED text, he shows the expansion in equation 3.70.

NFuller said:
Sorry but, to be frank, you need to make time. The point of homework is to learn how to solve the problems on your own.

If you are using Jackon's ED text, he shows the expansion in equation 3.70.
Strictly speaking it's not HW, I finished my EM coursework this last semester; It's just for my own knowledge.
Someone already has done the calculation I assume, just need to look it out.

Strictly speaking it's not HW, I finished my EM coursework this last semester; It's just for my own knowledge.
Alright, I assumed it was since this is posted in the homework forum.
Someone already has done the calculation I assume, just need to look it out.
The expansion is
$$\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}^{\prime}|}=4\pi\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=-l}^{l}\frac{1}{2l+1}\frac{r_{<}^{l}}{r_{>}^{l+1}}Y^{*}_{lm}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)$$
You just need to insert this into
$$\Phi(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho (\vec{x}')}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}d^3 x'$$
and evaluate the first three terms. Then, use the definitions of ##q##, ##\mathbf{p}##, and ##Q_{ij}## to replace those terms which will give you the final expansion for ##\Phi##.

NFuller said:
Alright, I assumed it was since this is posted in the homework forum.

The expansion is
$$\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}^{\prime}|}=4\pi\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\sum_{m=-l}^{l}\frac{1}{2l+1}\frac{r_{<}^{l}}{r_{>}^{l+1}}Y^{*}_{lm}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi)$$
You just need to insert this into
and evaluate the first three terms. Then, use the definitions of ##q##, ##\mathbf{p}##, and ##Q_{ij}## to replace those terms which will give you the final expansion for ##\Phi##.
If it were a simple plug and chug I would have done it by myself; but there are some terms that aren't so simple.

If it were a simple plug and chug I would have done it by myself; but there are some terms that aren't so simple.
It is that simple. Which terms are you having trouble with? How far have you got?

NFuller said:
It is that simple. Which terms are you having trouble with? How far have you got?
I can see how you get the term ##q/r##, but not the other two terms.

And it's not like I don't have other tasks at hand besides this, I am quite tired... :-(

I can see how you get the term q/rq/rq/r, but not the other two terms.
To get the dipole term ##\Phi(\mathbf{x})_{d}## for example, we evaluate
$$\int Y_{lm}^{*}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})r^{\prime l}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}$$
for ##l=1## and ##m=0,1##. For ##m=0##,
$$\int Y_{1,0}^{*}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})r^{\prime}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\int z^{\prime}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}p_{z}$$
For ##m=1##,
$$\int Y_{1,1}^{*}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})r^{\prime}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\int (x^{\prime}-iy^{\prime})\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(p_{x}-ip_{y})$$
Plugging this in for ##\Phi##
$$\Phi(\mathbf{x})_{d}=\frac{1}{\epsilon}\left[\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}p_{z}\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\frac{\text{cos}(\theta)}{r^{2}}+\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(p_{x}-ip_{y})\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{\text{sin}(\theta)e^{-i\phi}}{r^{2}}-\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(p_{x}-ip_{y})\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{\text{sin}(\theta)e^{i\phi}}{r^{2}}\right]$$
This is simply
$$\Phi(\mathbf{x})_{d}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}\frac{\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}{r^{3}}$$
Can you work out the quadrupole terms?

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
I should have known it would be that much tedious, I'll continue from there, thanks.

NFuller said:
To get the dipole term ##\Phi(\mathbf{x})_{d}## for example, we evaluate
$$\int Y_{lm}^{*}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})r^{\prime l}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}$$
for ##l=1## and ##m=0,1##. For ##m=0##,
$$\int Y_{1,0}^{*}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})r^{\prime}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\int z^{\prime}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}p_{z}$$
For ##m=1##,
$$\int Y_{1,1}^{*}(\theta^{\prime},\phi^{\prime})r^{\prime}\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\int (x^{\prime}-iy^{\prime})\rho(\mathbf{x}^{\prime})d^{3}x^{\prime}=-\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(p_{x}-ip_{y})$$
Plugging this in for ##\Phi##
$$\Phi(\mathbf{x})_{d}=\frac{1}{\epsilon}\left[\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}p_{z}\sqrt{\frac{3}{4\pi}}\frac{\text{cos}(\theta)}{r^{2}}+\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(p_{x}-ip_{y})\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{\text{sin}(\theta)e^{-i\phi}}{r^{2}}-\frac{1}{3}\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}(p_{x}-ip_{y})\sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi}}\frac{\text{sin}(\theta)e^{i\phi}}{r^{2}}\right]$$
This is simply
$$\Phi(\mathbf{x})_{d}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}\frac{\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}{r^{3}}$$
Can you work out the quadrupole terms?
You should also have a ##m=-1## since the inner sum goes from ##-l## to ##l##.

You should also have a ##m=-1## since the inner sum goes from ##-l## to ##l##.
Yes, it's in there. I didn't explicitly show it since
$$Y_{l,-m}(\theta,\phi)=(-1)^{m}Y_{l,m}^{*}(\theta,\phi)$$

What is the "Derivation of the expansion of the potential in rectangular coordinates"?

The "Derivation of the expansion of the potential in rectangular coordinates" is a mathematical process used to express the potential energy of a system in terms of its position in Cartesian, or rectangular, coordinates. It is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, to analyze and understand the behavior of systems.

Why is it important to derive the expansion of the potential in rectangular coordinates?

Deriving the expansion of the potential in rectangular coordinates allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of a system in terms of its position. It also simplifies the mathematical equations involved in analyzing the system, making it easier to solve and interpret the results.

What are the assumptions made in the derivation of the expansion of the potential in rectangular coordinates?

The derivation assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that it is not experiencing any external forces or changes in its state. It also assumes that the potential energy of the system is dependent only on its position and not on other factors such as time or velocity.

Are there alternative methods for expressing the potential energy of a system?

Yes, there are alternative methods for expressing the potential energy of a system, such as using polar coordinates or spherical coordinates. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of systems or offer different insights into the behavior of the system.

How can the derivation of the expansion of the potential in rectangular coordinates be applied in practical situations?

The derivation can be applied in various practical situations, such as designing and analyzing structures in engineering, understanding the behavior of particles in physics, and predicting the stability of chemical compounds in chemistry. It is a fundamental tool for understanding the physical world and has applications in many different fields of science and engineering.