Rate of Change Using Inverse Trig Functions

In summary, the question asks for the rate at which the angle of elevation of a spectator's line of sight to a freight elevator is increasing when the elevator is 50 ft above the ground. Using the derivative of arctan formula and implicit differentiation, a rate of 0.2 rad/sec was calculated. This result was confirmed by other methods.
Amrator

Homework Statement

A spectator is standing 50 ft from the freight elevator shaft of a building which is under construction. The elevator is ascending at a constant rate of 20 ft/sec. How fast is the angle of elevation of the spectator's line of sight to the elevator increasing when the elevator is 50 ft above the ground?

Homework Equations

Derivative of arctan
g'(x) = 1/[(x^2)+1]

h=height

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20150727_192407877.jpg

I don't know how to use latex.

I used implicit differentiation. Since the elevator is moving at a velocity of 20 ft/sec, I plugged that in for dh/dt. Because they wanted me to use the derivative of arctan formula, I'm assuming the input is h/50 (y/x). After I plugged in h/50 into the formula, I plugged in the height they gave me, 50, into h. I multiplied that by 20 (dh/dt) and got 0.2 rad/sec.

Did they want me to find the time when the elevator was 50 ft above the ground first?
Also I apologize for the small writing. It's arctan(h/50).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the time when the elevator is 50 ft high is relevant.

Likes Amrator
Dr. Courtney said:
I don't think the time when the elevator is 50 ft high is relevant.
Am I allowed to ask if the result I got is correct? If not, that's fine.

I don't see anything wrong with your work.

Likes Amrator
Amrator said:
Am I allowed to ask if the result I got is correct? If not, that's fine.
The result looks to be correct.

Working it a somewhat different way, I get the same result.

Likes Amrator
Alright. Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

1. What is the definition of rate of change using inverse trig functions?

The rate of change using inverse trig functions is a measure of how a quantity changes with respect to another quantity, calculated using inverse trigonometric functions such as inverse sine, inverse cosine, and inverse tangent.

2. How do you calculate the rate of change using inverse trig functions?

To calculate the rate of change using inverse trig functions, you first need to determine the initial and final values of the quantity being measured. Then, you can use the formula:
rate of change = (final value - initial value) / (final angle - initial angle).

3. What is the significance of using inverse trig functions in calculating rate of change?

Inverse trig functions are useful in calculating rate of change because they allow us to find the angle at which the change occurs, rather than just the change in quantity. This can provide more precise and accurate measurements.

4. What are some real-life examples of using rate of change with inverse trig functions?

One example is using inverse sine to calculate the rate of change of a pendulum's angle as it swings back and forth. Another example is using inverse tangent to calculate the rate of change of a building's height as you move away from it.

5. How can understanding rate of change using inverse trig functions be helpful in problem-solving?

Understanding rate of change using inverse trig functions can be helpful in problem-solving because it allows you to analyze how a quantity is changing and at what rate, providing more information for making decisions or finding solutions to problems. It can also help in graphing and visualizing changes over time.