Derivative of a Complex Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a complex function and the result being zero. The attempt at finding the derivative using partial derivatives is shown, but it is realized that the function is actually equal to a complex constant for all values of x and y. This is seen by multiplying the numerator by 5i.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of ##f(z)=\frac{1.5z+3i}{7.5iz-15}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no difficulty using the standard derivative formulas to find the derivative of this function, but the actual result, that the derivative is zero, is confusing. For real functions, the derivative is usually only zero if your function is just a number with no variables. However, here we obviously have variables in the form of ##x## & ##y## in the two z's, but somehow the derivative is still zero.

Taking the partial derivatives gives me:
##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{-11.25y-22.5-22.5iy}{-56.25x^2-112.5ixy+56.25y^2-225i+225}##

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{33.75ix+11.25x-67.5}{-56.25x^2-112.5ixy+56.25y^2-225i+225}##

If my math is correct, does this not show that the derivative changes and isn't zero?

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of ##f(z)=\frac{1.5z+3i}{7.5iz-15}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no difficulty using the standard derivative formulas to find the derivative of this function, but the actual result, that the derivative is zero, is confusing. For real functions, the derivative is usually only zero if your function is just a number with no variables. However, here we obviously have variables in the form of ##x## & ##y## in the two z's, but somehow the derivative is still zero.

Taking the partial derivatives gives me:
##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{-11.25y-22.5-22.5iy}{-56.25x^2-112.5ixy+56.25y^2-225i+225}##

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{33.75ix+11.25x-67.5}{-56.25x^2-112.5ixy+56.25y^2-225i+225}##

If my math is correct, does this not show that the derivative changes and isn't zero?

What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that ##f(z)## is equal to a complex constant ##c## for all ##z = x+iy##. If you look a bit harder it becomes clear by inspection.

Ray Vickson said:
You are missing the fact that ##f(z)## is equal to a complex constant ##c## for all ##z = x+iy##. If you look a bit harder it becomes clear by inspection.

Hi Ray. Would you mind elaborating? I'm afraid I don't see anything at the moment.

Drakkith said:
Hi Ray. Would you mind elaborating? I'm afraid I don't see anything at the moment.
What happens if you multiply the nominator by ##5i\,##? Thus you can write ##f(z)=\dfrac{1}{5i} \cdot \dfrac{\ldots}{\ldots}##.

fresh_42 said:
What happens if you multiply the nominator by ##5i\,##? Thus you can write ##f(z)=\dfrac{1}{5i} \cdot \dfrac{\ldots}{\ldots}##.

I see. Thanks guys.

What is the derivative of a complex function?

The derivative of a complex function is a measure of how the function changes as the input value changes. It is the slope of the tangent line to the complex function at a specific point.

How is the derivative of a complex function calculated?

The derivative of a complex function is calculated using the same rules as the derivative of a real-valued function, but with the added complexity of working with complex numbers. This includes using the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the chain rule.

Why is the derivative of a complex function important?

The derivative of a complex function is important in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, to determine the rate of change of a function, and to solve optimization problems.

What is the relationship between the derivative of a complex function and its analyticity?

A complex function is considered analytic if it has a derivative at every point in its domain. Therefore, the existence of a derivative is a key factor in determining whether a complex function is analytic or not.

Can the derivative of a complex function have an imaginary part?

Yes, the derivative of a complex function can have an imaginary part. This is because complex functions often have both real and imaginary components, and the derivative takes into account both of these components. In fact, the Cauchy-Riemann equations are used to determine the real and imaginary parts of the derivative separately.