Derivative of Definite Integral Conundrum

In summary, the integral of a function over a closed interval is the sum of the integrals of the individual functions along the interval.
ObjectivelyRational

Homework Statement

The normal approach using the fundamental theorem of calculus seems inapplicable. I define a function B(R) based on a definite integral with one of the limits being R. One factor in the definite integral has R in it and that function vanishes to 0 at x = R.

Using the fundamental theorem I run into the problem that the derivative of B(R) evaluates to 0.

Homework Equations

upload_2016-9-9_15-48-38.png
K is just a constant greater than R.

The Attempt at a Solution

Reversing the sign and the limits of integration is as far as I got. If I do a straight replacement of x with R, Cos-1(R/x) goes to Cos-1(1) which is zero...

I'm trying to isolate G but this has me stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing the two occurrences of ##R## in the formula as separate variables ##u## and ##v## and write ##B(R)## as a function of the two variables, each of which is a function of ##R##, viz: ##u(R)=V(R)=R##.

If you can do that then you can then use the http://tornado.sfsu.edu/Geosciences/classes/m430/TotalDerivative/Total_derivative.html formula to find ##\frac{dB}{dR}##.

ObjectivelyRational said:

Homework Statement

The normal approach using the fundamental theorem of calculus seems inapplicable. I define a function B(R) based on a definite integral with one of the limits being R. One factor in the definite integral has R in it and that function vanishes to 0 at x = R.

Using the fundamental theorem I run into the problem that the derivative of B(R) evaluates to 0.

Homework Equations

View attachment 105677K is just a constant greater than R.

The Attempt at a Solution

Reversing the sign and the limits of integration is as far as I got. If I do a straight replacement of x with R, Cos-1(R/x) goes to Cos-1(1) which is zero...

I'm trying to isolate G but this has me stumped.

Have you forgotten (or perhaps, never learned) Leibniz' (Integral) Rule? See, eg.,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LeibnizIntegralRule.html

What is the "Derivative of Definite Integral Conundrum"?

The "Derivative of Definite Integral Conundrum" is a mathematical problem that arises when trying to find the derivative of a definite integral. It involves understanding the relationship between the two concepts and how to properly apply the rules of calculus.

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two specific points. It is denoted by ∫ and is a fundamental tool in calculus.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is denoted by f'(x) or dy/dx and is a key concept in calculus.

Why is finding the derivative of a definite integral challenging?

Finding the derivative of a definite integral is challenging because it involves applying two different concepts in calculus - derivatives and definite integrals. It requires a strong understanding of both concepts and how they relate to each other.

How do I solve the "Derivative of Definite Integral Conundrum"?

To solve the "Derivative of Definite Integral Conundrum", you need to use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that the derivative of a definite integral can be found by evaluating the original function at the upper limit of integration and then subtracting the value of the function at the lower limit of integration.