Derive a general expression for the dilution of saltwater

In summary, the general expression for dilution of saltwater is: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration of saltwater, V1 is the initial volume of saltwater, C2 is the final concentration after dilution, and V2 is the final volume after dilution. The concentration of saltwater decreases when it is diluted due to the increase in total volume of the solution. The main factors that can affect the dilution of saltwater are the initial concentration, volume of water used, and rate of stirring. The general expression can be applied to any concentration of saltwater with consistent units. In theory, saltwater can be infinitely diluted, but in practical applications, there may be limitations
mckaybreuner
Homework Statement
A seashore sand mixture contains 85% insoluble sand, 12% salt, and 3% water by weight. 100 kilograms of this mixture is to be washed by batch operations so that it will contain less than 0.2% salt after drying. In each washing, the sand mixture is mixed with 200 kilograms of water and the resulting saline solution is discarded. The sand mixture retains 0.5 kilograms of water per kilogram of insoluble sand after each washing. Derive a general expression for the weight fraction of salt in the dried mixture after N washings.
Relevant Equations
"N-1" is an exponent in the general expression they are after.
I know that it will take 3 washings to reach the desired purity of sand, and that "N-1" is an exponent in the general expression, but I am stuck beyond that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could not follow the problem statement. It doesn't seem to give any info on how much salt remains after each wash.

I assume the salt is completely soluble, and how much salt remains is determined by how much (salty) water is retained.

Likes Charles Link
@mjc is correct. Thanks for the back and forth I figured it out though: 2.51 x (42.5/242/5)^n-1

1. What is dilution of saltwater?

Dilution of saltwater refers to the process of reducing the concentration of salt in a given volume of water by adding more water.

2. Why is it important to derive a general expression for the dilution of saltwater?

Deriving a general expression for the dilution of saltwater allows scientists to accurately calculate and predict the resulting salt concentration in a solution after dilution. This is important for various applications, such as in environmental studies and industrial processes.

3. What factors affect the dilution of saltwater?

The dilution of saltwater is affected by the initial concentration of salt, the amount of water added, and the volume of the final solution.

4. Can the general expression for dilution of saltwater be applied to all types of salt?

Yes, the general expression can be applied to all types of salt as long as the initial concentration and final volume are known.

5. How can the general expression for dilution of saltwater be used in practical applications?

The general expression can be used to determine the amount of water needed to dilute a certain amount of salt to a desired concentration, as well as to calculate the resulting salt concentration after dilution. This is useful in industries such as food and beverage, where precise salt concentrations are important for product quality.