Derive formula using Conservation of Energy and Momentum

In summary, the given conversation discusses a 1-dimensional elastic collision between a child's ball and a car moving towards the child. After the collision, the ball moves back towards the child and the car continues in its original direction. The correct equation to represent this scenario is v + V = v' - V', which is derived from the law of conservation of energy and momentum and is known as Newton's Experimental Law.
Unicorns812877

Homework Statement

Playing in the street, a child accidentally tosses a ball (mass m) with a speed of v=23 m/s toward the front of a car (mass M) that is moving directly toward him with a speed of V=20 m/s . Treat this collision as a 1-dimensional elastic collision. After the collision, the ball is moving with speed v′ back toward the child and the car is moving with speed V′ in its original direction.

My options are:
A) v + V = v' - V'
B) v - V = -v' + V'
C) v - V = v' -V'
D) v + V = -v' + V'

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy
Conversation of Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the movement of the child's ball as the positive direction and the car's direction as the negative. So this would give me v - V = -v'-V' but that is not an option. Can someone point me in the proper direction?

EDIT:
For all of those coming for a quick answer for MasteringPhysics, the answer is v + V = v' -V'

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unicorns812877 said:
would give me v - V = -v'-V'
No, it wouldn't. These are not momentum equations. What law does the (correct) equation represent?

haruspex said:
No, it wouldn't. These are not momentum equations. What law does the (correct) equation represent?
I want to say conservation of energy but I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around this question.

Unicorns812877 said:
I want to say conservation of energy but I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around this question.
The equation, in its more general form, is known as Newton's Experimental Law. The form here is for the special case where KE is conserved, i.e. the coefficient of restitution is 1. It can be derived from the laws of conservation of energy and momentum, but is simpler than either.
See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution.

Do you need more help?

1. What is the principle behind the derivation of formulas using Conservation of Energy and Momentum?

The principle behind the derivation of formulas using Conservation of Energy and Momentum is that in any isolated system, the total amount of energy and momentum remains constant. This means that energy or momentum cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is Conservation of Energy and Momentum used in deriving formulas?

Conservation of Energy and Momentum is used in deriving formulas by setting the initial and final states of a system equal to each other, and then using the principle that the total energy and momentum must remain constant. This allows us to solve for unknown variables and derive formulas that describe the behavior of the system.

3. What are some examples of systems where Conservation of Energy and Momentum can be applied?

Conservation of Energy and Momentum can be applied to a wide range of systems, including collisions, explosions, pendulum swings, and fluid flow. It can also be applied to more complex systems, such as celestial bodies in orbit or chemical reactions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Conservation of Energy and Momentum in deriving formulas?

One limitation of using Conservation of Energy and Momentum is that it only applies to isolated systems, meaning that there can be no external forces acting on the system. It also assumes that all energy transfers are reversible, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.

5. How does the derivation of formulas using Conservation of Energy and Momentum contribute to scientific understanding?

The derivation of formulas using Conservation of Energy and Momentum allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems with a high degree of accuracy. This principle is fundamental to many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and chemistry, and has led to numerous advancements in technology and our understanding of the natural world.