Deriving a trigonometric identity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the identity sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2=1 using only given identities and algebraic operations. After some trial and error, it is concluded that the identity can be derived using the identity cos(x+y)=cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y) and by choosing specific values for the variables. The conversation also mentions that this identity can be derived from the Pythagorean Theorem.
HHermans
For a homework assignment I'm supposed to prove that sin(x)^2+cos(x)^2=1, using only the following identities (along with algebraic operations):

sin(-x)=-sin(x)
cos(-x)=cos(x)
cos(x+y)=cos(x)cos(y)-sin(x)sin(y)
sin(x+y)=sin(x)cos(y)+cos(x)sin(y)

I can't figure this out, because as far as I know the identity can only be derived from the Pythagorean Theorem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, remember that identities such as

[tex]\cos (\theta + \varphi) = \cos \theta \cos \varphi - \sin \theta \sin \varphi[/tex]

are true no matter what the arguments are: you can plug anything you want in for [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex].

Hurkyl said:
Well, remember that identities such as

[tex]\cos (\theta + \varphi) = \cos \theta \cos \varphi - \sin \theta \sin \varphi[/tex]

are true no matter what the arguments are: you can plug anything you want in for [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex].

I've tried this a few times, and I got nowhere. Is there a specific direction to go?

[tex]
\cos (a \pm b) = \cos (a)\cos (b) \mp \sin (a)\sin (b)
[/tex]

try using some value for a and b that will make the left hand side equal 1.

Thanks very much for everyone's help, I now understand this. cos(x + y) can be written as cos(x + -x), or cos(0).

Last edited:
danago said:
[tex]
\cos (a \pm b) = \cos (a)\cos (b) \mp \sin (a)\sin (b)
[/tex]

try using some value for a and b that will make the left hand side equal 1.
Heh, I was thinking more along the lines of looking for an a and b that makes cos^2 and sin^2 appear on the r.h.s. Same thing either way. :smile:

Related to Deriving a trigonometric identity

1. What is the process for deriving a trigonometric identity?

The process for deriving a trigonometric identity involves using the basic trigonometric identities (such as the Pythagorean identities and angle sum/difference identities) to manipulate and simplify the expression until it matches the desired identity.

2. Why is it important to be able to derive trigonometric identities?

Deriving trigonometric identities allows us to prove and understand various mathematical concepts related to trigonometry. It also helps us solve more complex problems involving trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common strategies for deriving trigonometric identities?

Some common strategies for deriving trigonometric identities include using double-angle or half-angle formulas, substituting trigonometric expressions with their equivalent values, and using algebraic manipulation techniques.

4. Are there any tips for making the process of deriving trigonometric identities easier?

One tip for making the process of deriving trigonometric identities easier is to familiarize yourself with the basic trigonometric identities and their properties. It can also be helpful to work through examples and practice problems to gain a better understanding of the process.

5. Can trigonometric identities be derived for all trigonometric functions?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be derived for all trigonometric functions. However, the process may be more complex for some functions compared to others.