Deriving E of a charged spherical shell from V

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving two integrations for finding the electric field at points inside and outside a shell. The individual discussing their question made a mistake in the equation initially, but has since corrected it. They also raise a concern about setting the separation distance equal to the radius of the shell in the integral, questioning the physical justification for it.
FallenLeibniz
Wrote my question up in Latex

Update: I have corrected the mistake when I stated the "textbook" version of the equation that the problem requires to be used. I have reposted the pdf with the same name.

Attachments

• VvsE.pdf
    106.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to do two integrations. One for finding the field at points outside the shell and the other for finding the field at points inside the shell. It looks like you have correctly done the one for points outside the shell. You should get a different result for points inside the shell.

I've taken another look at my integral I have set up. Now it seems as if it would work from a mathematical standpoint that for r<R, the separation distance (i.e. little "r" in my integral) becomes equal to R which would give me a constant for the potential and therefore an E value of 0, however I don't see a justification for setting r=R within the integral on physical grounds.

Note: I have realized that I have miswritten the "overall" equation in my second section. I apologize and will correct it now.

Related to Deriving E of a charged spherical shell from V

1. How do you derive the electric field of a charged spherical shell from its potential?

To derive the electric field of a charged spherical shell from its potential, we can use the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field and V is the potential. This means that the electric field is equal to the negative gradient of the potential.

2. What is the formula for the potential of a charged spherical shell?

The formula for the potential of a charged spherical shell is V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

3. How does the electric field inside a charged spherical shell vary with distance from the center?

The electric field inside a charged spherical shell is constant at all points, regardless of the distance from the center. This is because the charge distribution on the shell is symmetrical and cancels out the electric field inside.

4. What is the electric field outside a charged spherical shell?

The electric field outside a charged spherical shell can be calculated using the same formula as for a point charge, E = kQ/r^2. However, the charge Q in this case is the total charge of the shell, not just the charge at the center.

5. How does the electric field of a charged spherical shell depend on the thickness of the shell?

The electric field of a charged spherical shell does not depend on the thickness of the shell. As long as the charge distribution on the shell remains the same, the electric field will remain constant at all points outside the shell.