Deriving equation for circle using sin and cos identities

Then the identity takes care of the rest so I'm left with (x-a)^2 + y^2 = a^2In summary, by using the given equations x=2acos^2(x) and y = 2a(cos(x))(sin(x)), we can prove that when plugging in values for x, the resulting points form a circle with center (x-a) and radius a. This can be achieved by using the sin and cos identities to eliminate the x variables and then factoring out a^2 to get the equation (x-a)^2 + y^2 = a^2.
spanglophile

Homework Statement

I have been given these two equations:
x=2acos^2(x) , y = 2a(cos(x))(sin(x)) where a ranges from 0 to 5 and -2π < x < 2π
I need to prove that these equations (when you plug in values for x) create points that when plotted, give you a circle with center (x-a) and radius a.

Homework Equations

I have gotten the correct answer, however I am missing a step and I'm not sure what I did to get the correct answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to get an equation for a circle out of the two equations I have been given. So using the sin and cos identities, I can get rid of the x's. I know 2cos^2x = cos2x + 1 and that 2(cos(x))(sin(x)) = sin2x. I then added the a values back in so I have these two equations:
x= a+a(cos(2x)) , y= a(sin(2x))
From there, I fixed the x value to look like this:
(x-a) = a(cos(2x)) , y = a(sin(2x))
Then I remembered the circle equation of x^2 + y^2 = 1
So I did this:
(x-a)^2 + y^2 = a^2(cos^2(2x)) + a^2(sin^2(2x))
I know I'm supposed to get (x-a)^2 + y^2 = a^2 , but I'm not sure what to do to the above equation to get this result. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring out a^2 from the right hand side.

What do you know about

[tex] \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta [/tex] ?

Oh, I get it. So I could write it like this:

(x-a)^2 + y^2 = a^2 (cos^2(2x) + sin^2(2x))

Then the identity takes care of the rest so I'm left with

(x-a)^2 + y^2 = ^2 , right?

I meant to write the above post as:

(x-a)^2 + y^2 = a^2

Related to Deriving equation for circle using sin and cos identities

1. What are the basic trigonometric identities used to derive the equation for a circle?

The two identities used to derive the equation for a circle are the Pythagorean identity, sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, and the double-angle identity, sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x).

2. How do you use these identities to derive the equation for a circle?

To derive the equation for a circle, we start with the Pythagorean identity and manipulate it using the double-angle identity to get an equation in terms of sin(x) and cos(x). Then, we use the fact that the radius of a circle is equal to the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y coordinates on the unit circle, and substitute in the values for sin(x) and cos(x) to get the final equation for a circle, x^2 + y^2 = r^2.

3. Can the equation for a circle be derived using other trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are other trigonometric identities that can be used to derive the equation for a circle, such as the half-angle identities and the sum and difference identities. However, the most commonly used identities for this derivation are the Pythagorean and double-angle identities.

4. Is the equation for a circle only applicable to circles?

No, the equation for a circle, x^2 + y^2 = r^2, can also be used to represent other shapes, such as ellipses and hyperbolas. The only difference is that the value of r will change depending on the shape.

5. What is the significance of deriving the equation for a circle using trigonometric identities?

Deriving the equation for a circle using trigonometric identities allows us to understand the relationship between the x and y coordinates on the unit circle and how they can be used to represent a circle. It also helps us see the connections between different trigonometric identities and how they can be applied to solve different mathematical problems.