Understanding the Trajectory Equation: X^2+Y^2=5

• Thread starter Andrei0408
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectory
In summary: In general a circle is of the form: $$(x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = R^2$$ where ##(a, b)## is the centre.Yes, that's right.
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
Describe the motion of a mass point with a given law of motion
Relevant Equations
I've attached a picture
So I've done the first part of the problem, I just need to understand the x^2+y^2=5 part. I believe in order to get to this (I think this is called the trajectory equation, but please correct me if I'm wrong), we wrote sin(3t) = x/5 and cos(3t) = y/5, we raised each of these to the power of 2 and added them. But in the solution it says that it's the equation of a circle in the plane XOY. How do we know it's the equation of a circle?

Attachments

• Screenshot (192).png
    Screenshot (192).png
    47.1 KB · Views: 109
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei0408 said:
How do we know it's the equation of a circle?
Do you know the equation for a circle of radius ##R##, centred on the origin?

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
Do you know the equation for a circle of radius ##R##, centred on the origin?
Not really

Andrei0408 said:
Not really
That's fairly basic knowldge to be missing. It's not hard to find online.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
That's fairly basic knowldge to be missing. It's not hard to find online.
I searched it and managed to understand but now I'm having some trouble with another exercise. I've been given the motion laws x and y and I need to find the trajectory equation, I've done the same steps that I did for last exercise, but the solution isn't right. I've attached the way I worked below, the result should be x^2+(y-2)^2=4

Attachments

• 20201025_201652.jpg
    20201025_201652.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 94
Andrei0408 said:
I searched it and managed to understand but now I'm having some trouble with another exercise. I've been given the motion laws x and y and I need to find the trajectory equation, I've done the same steps that I did for last exercise, but the solution isn't right. I've attached the way I worked below, the result should be x^2+(y-2)^2=4
Perhaps the centre of the circle is not the origin?

In general a circle is of the form: $$(x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = R^2$$ where ##(a, b)## is the centre.

Can you see how to get your equation into that form?

Likes Andrei0408
PeroK said:
Perhaps the centre of the circle is not the origin?

In general a circle is of the form: $$(x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = R^2$$ where ##(a, b)## is the centre.

Can you see how to get your equation into that form?
I see so in this case the centre of the circle would be C(0,2) and radius 2.
Thank you for your replies!

Andrei0408 said:
I see so in this case the centre of the circle would be C(0,2) and radius 2.
Thank you for your replies!
Yes, that's right.

Likes Andrei0408

What is the Trajectory Equation and how is it used?

The Trajectory Equation, also known as the Circle Equation, is a mathematical equation used to describe the path of an object moving in a circular motion. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate the position and velocity of objects.

What do X and Y represent in the Trajectory Equation?

In the Trajectory Equation, X and Y represent the coordinates of a point on the circle. The center of the circle is at (0,0), so X and Y values can be positive or negative depending on the location of the point on the circle.

What does the number 5 represent in the Trajectory Equation?

The number 5 in the Trajectory Equation represents the radius of the circle. This means that any point on the circle will be 5 units away from the center (0,0). The larger the number, the bigger the circle will be.

Can the Trajectory Equation be used to describe other shapes besides circles?

No, the Trajectory Equation can only be used to describe the path of an object moving in a circular motion. Other shapes, such as squares or triangles, have their own mathematical equations to describe their trajectories.

How is the Trajectory Equation derived and what are its limitations?

The Trajectory Equation is derived from the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Its limitations include only being applicable to objects moving in a circular motion and not taking into account external forces or factors that may affect the trajectory of the object.