Deriving equations of motion in spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations of motion in spherical coordinates. The equations are derived using the dot notation and unit vectors, with θ representing the angle from the z axis and phi representing the angle in the x-y plane. The conversation also covers the differentiation of the unit vector \hat{r} with respect to θ and the derivative of position \vec{r} with respect to time, leading to the equation \frac{d \bf \vec{r} \rm}{dt} = \dot{r} \bf \hat{r} \rm + r \hat{\boldsymbol \theta} \rm. However, there is some difficulty in understanding the notation and making the final step in the
Emspak

Homework Statement

OK, we've been asked to derive the equations of motion in spherical coordinates. According to the assignment, we should end up with this:

$$
\bf \vec{v} \rm = \frac{d \bf \vec{r} \rm}{dt} = \dot{r} \bf \hat{r} \rm + r \dot{\theta}\hat{\boldsymbol \theta} \rm + r \dot{\phi}\sin \theta \bf \hat{\boldsymbol\phi}\rm
$$

In this case θ is the angle from the z axis and phi is the angle in the x-y plane.

Now, if I take it that position $$\bf \vec{r} \rm = r \bf \hat{r}$$ and say $$ \bf \hat{r} \rm = \bf \hat{x} \rm \sin\theta \cos\phi + \bf \hat{y} \rm \sin \theta \sin \phi + \bf \hat{z}\rm \cos\theta \\
\hat{\boldsymbol\theta} = \bf \hat{x} \rm \cos\theta \cos\phi + \bf \hat{y} \rm \cos \theta \sin \phi - \bf \hat{z}\rm\sin\theta\\
\hat{\boldsymbol\phi} = \bf \hat{x} \rm (-\sin\phi) + \bf \hat{y} \rm \cos \phi\\
$$

now maybe I am making this more complex than it is. And maybe it's just a notation problem (I really hate the dot notation sometimes because I feel it obscures things, but I need to know it, I know).

If we assume that when r changes, [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] and their unit vectors stay the same, then we can safely say that [itex]\frac{d \hat{\boldsymbol\phi}}{dr} = 0[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d \hat{\boldsymbol\theta}}{d r} = 0.[/itex] (someone please tell me if i am wrong).

If we do the same thing with changing θ and [itex]\varphi[/itex] though, the result is different. hen we change θ, r has to change because it changes direction, and when we change [itex]\varphi[/itex] r has to change because it changes direction in that case also.

When I take the derivative of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] with respect to [itex]\vartheta[/itex], I get the following:

$$\frac{d \bf \hat{r}}{d\theta} = \bf \hat{x} \rm \cos\theta \cos\phi + \bf \hat{y} \rm \cos \theta \sin \phi - \bf \hat{z}\rm\sin\theta $$

which as it happens also is equal to [itex] \hat{\boldsymbol{\theta}}[/itex]

Now, if I look at [itex]\bf \vec{r} \rm = r \bf \hat{r}[/itex] and take the derivative w/r/t time, I should get [itex]\frac{d \bf \vec{r} \rm}{dt} = r \frac{d\bf \hat{r}}{dt} + \frac{dr}{dt}\bf \hat{r} \rm[/itex]

I notice that this happens (and some of this is just seeing the notation):
$$
\frac{d \bf \vec{r} \rm}{dt} = r \frac{d\bf \hat{r}}{dt} + \frac{dr}{dt}\bf \hat{r} \rm = \dot{r} \bf \hat{r} \rm + r \hat{\boldsymbol \theta} \rm $$

ANd I feel like I am almost there. But I am having trouble making that last step. I am getting a bit frustrated because I can't seem to make the differentiation work the way it does in the text and I haven't found a derivation online that matches up with anything I have seen in class. Again, maybe it's just the notation used.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: unit vector phi expression corrected.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:

Homework Statement

OK, we've been asked to derive the equations of motion in spherical coordinates. According to the assignment, we should end up with this:

$$
\bf \vec{v} \rm = \frac{d \bf \vec{r} \rm}{dt} = \dot{r} \bf \hat{r} \rm + r \dot{\theta}\hat{\boldsymbol \theta} \rm + r \dot{\phi}\sin \theta \bf \hat{\boldsymbol\phi}\rm
$$

In this case θ is the angle from the z axis and phi is the angle in the x-y plane.

Now, if I take it that position $$\bf \vec{r} \rm = r \bf \hat{r}$$ and say $$ \bf \hat{r} \rm = \bf \hat{x} \rm \sin\theta \cos\phi + \bf \hat{y} \rm \sin \theta \sin \phi + \bf \hat{z}\rm \cos\theta \\
\hat{\boldsymbol\theta} = \bf \hat{x} \rm \cos\theta \cos\phi + \bf \hat{y} \rm \cos \theta \sin \phi - \bf \hat{z}\rm\sin\theta\\
\hat{\boldsymbol\phi} = \bf \hat{x} \rm (-\sin\phi) + \bf \hat{y} \rm \cos \phi \sin \phi \\
$$

now maybe I am making this more complex than it is. And maybe it's just a notation problem (I really hate the dot notation sometimes because I feel it obscures things, but I need to know it, I know).

If we assume that when r changes, [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] and their unit vectors stay the same, then we can safely say that [itex]\frac{d \hat{\boldsymbol\phi}}{dr} = 0[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d \hat{\boldsymbol\theta}}{d r} = 0.[/itex] (someone please tell me if i am wrong).
Just look at your expressions for the unit vectors. ##r## doesn't appear at all, so changing it leaves the unit vectors unchanged.

If we do the same thing with changing θ and [itex]\varphi[/itex] though, the result is different. hen we change θ, r has to change because it changes direction, and when we change [itex]\varphi[/itex] r has to change because it changes direction in that case also.
You mean ##\hat{r}##, not ##r##, right?

When I take the derivative of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] with respect to [itex]\vartheta[/itex], I get the following:

$$\frac{d \bf \hat{r}}{d\theta} = \bf \hat{x} \rm \cos\theta \cos\phi + \bf \hat{y} \rm \cos \theta \sin \phi - \bf \hat{z}\rm\sin\theta $$

which as it happens also is equal to [itex] \hat{\boldsymbol{\theta}}[/itex]

Now, if I look at [itex]\bf \vec{r} \rm = r \bf \hat{r}[/itex] and take the derivative w/r/t time, I should get [itex]\frac{d \bf \vec{r} \rm}{dt} = r \frac{d\bf \hat{r}}{dt} + \frac{dr}{dt}\bf \hat{r} \rm[/itex]

$$
\frac{d \bf \vec{r} \rm}{dt} = r \frac{d\bf \hat{r}}{dt} + \frac{dr}{dt}\bf \hat{r} \rm = \dot{r} \bf \hat{r} \rm + r \hat{\boldsymbol \theta} \rm $$

ANd I feel like I am almost there. But I am having trouble making that last step. I am getting a bit frustrated because I can't seem to make the differentiation work the way it does in the text and I haven't found a derivation online that matches up with anything I have seen in class. Again, maybe it's just the notation used.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.
Note that you calculated ##d\hat{r}/d\theta## in one case and ##d\hat{r}/dt## in the other.

Emspak said:
\hat{\boldsymbol\phi} = \bf \hat{x} \rm (-\sin\phi) + \bf \hat{y} \rm \cos \phi \sin \phi \\
$$

The unit vector for ##\hat{\phi}## is incorrect, check this.

Yes, that's correct.
$$
You have that ##\dot{\hat{r}} = \hat{\theta}## which is incorrect. You forgot the chain rule.

Emspak said:

Homework Statement

$$
$$

In which case [itex]\mathbf{r} = r(\sin\theta \cos \phi \hat x + \sin\theta \sin\phi \hat y + \cos\theta \hat z)[/itex], and
[tex]
\hat r = \sin\theta \cos\phi \hat x + \sin\theta \sin\phi \hat y + \cos \theta \hat z \\
\hat \theta = \cos\theta \cos\phi \hat x + \cos\theta \sin\phi \hat y - \sin\theta \hat z \\
\hat \phi = -\sin\phi \hat x + \cos\phi \hat y
[/tex]

Those derivatives should be partial.

If we do the same thing with changing θ and [itex]\varphi[/itex] though, the result is different. When we change θ, r has to change because it changes direction, and when we change [itex]\varphi[/itex] r has to change because it changes direction in that case also.

No; if you fix [itex]r[/itex] then you are confined to a sphere of radius [itex]r[/itex]. [itex]\hat r[/itex] is always normal to the sphere and [itex]\hat \theta[/itex] and [itex]\hat \phi[/itex] are tangent to the sphere. All three unit vectors are functions of [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] and independent of [itex]r[/itex]. (Actually, as you see from above, [itex]\hat \phi[/itex] depends only on [itex]\phi[/itex]).

Start with
[tex]
\mathbf{r} = r\hat r
[/tex]
and differentiate with respect to time:
[tex]
\dot{\mathbf{r}} = \dot r \hat r + r \dot {\hat r}
[/tex]
Now calculate [itex]\dot{\hat r}[/itex] from the definition using the product rule and the chain rule. Then collect terms involving [itex]\dot \theta[/itex] and [itex]\dot \phi[/itex]. You should then get the given answer.

Likes 1 person
So when I look at the change in the unit vector with respect to time, I have to consider it as [itex]\vec{r}=r(\theta + d\theta, \phi+ d\phi)\hat{r}[/itex]. Is that the case? So I could rewrite this as [itex]d\hat{r} = d\theta \hat{\theta} + d \phi hat{\phi}[/itex]

So when I look at the change in the unit vector with respect to time, I have to consider it as [itex]\vec{r}=r(\theta + d\theta, \phi+ d\phi)\hat{r}[/itex]. Is that the case? So I could rewrite this as [itex]d\hat{r} = d\theta \hat{\theta} + d \phi \hat{\phi}[/itex]

I was thinking that in two dimensions I did this:

[itex]d\hat{r} = d\theta \hat{\theta}[/itex]

and multiplied through by [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex] and got [itex]\frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta} = \hat{\theta}\frac{d \theta}{dt}[/itex]

Emspak said:
So when I look at the change in the unit vector with respect to time, I have to consider it as [itex]\vec{r}=r(\theta + d\theta, \phi+ d\phi)\hat{r}[/itex]. Is that the case? So I could rewrite this as [itex]d\hat{r} = d\theta \hat{\theta} + d \phi \hat{\phi}[/itex]
That doesn't work units-wise, does it?

Emspak said:

I was thinking that in two dimensions I did this:

[itex]d\hat{r} = d\theta \hat{\theta}[/itex]

and multiplied through by [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex] and got [itex]\frac{d\hat{r}}{d\theta} = \hat{\theta}\frac{d \theta}{dt}[/itex]
I do not quite follow. What you want to find is ##\dot{\hat{r}}##. Since ##\hat{r} = \hat{r}(\theta, \phi)##, the differential is as follows:$$\frac{d \hat{r}}{dt} = \frac{\partial \hat{r}}{\partial \theta} \frac{d \theta}{dt} + \frac{\partial \hat{r}}{\partial \phi} \frac{d \phi}{dt},$$
Sub this into ##\dot{\vec{r}}## and this should give you your answer.

Likes 1 person

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance from a fixed origin, an angle from a fixed reference direction, and an angle from a fixed reference plane.

2. Why is it important to derive equations of motion in spherical coordinates?

Deriving equations of motion in spherical coordinates allows us to model the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, which is necessary for understanding many real-world phenomena. It also allows for a more accurate representation of complex motions, such as those involving rotation or circular paths.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates over other coordinate systems?

Spherical coordinates have several advantages, including their ability to represent three-dimensional motion, their simplicity in describing circular or rotational motion, and their usefulness in solving problems involving forces acting at angles.

4. How do you derive equations of motion in spherical coordinates?

To derive equations of motion in spherical coordinates, we use vector calculus and the principles of Newton's laws of motion. We start by defining the position, velocity, and acceleration vectors in terms of the spherical coordinates, and then use differentiation and substitution to derive the equations of motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical coordinates to model motion?

While spherical coordinates are useful for many applications, they do have limitations. They are not well-suited for modeling motion along straight lines, and they can become complicated when dealing with complex forces or motions involving multiple objects. In these cases, other coordinate systems may be more appropriate.