Deriving the electromagnetic field strength tensor

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the electromagnetic field strength tensor and using identities to simplify the process. The participants discuss the use of the Kronecker delta function and the definition of the curl operation to reach the desired form of the tensor. They also mention the importance of keeping in mind the signs and notation when performing these calculations. Overall, the conversation provides a helpful explanation of the steps involved in deriving the tensor.
rwooduk
Just one last question today if someone can help. I'm trying to derive the electromagnetic field strength tensor and having a little trouble with (i think) the use of identities, please see below:

YWH2xbX.jpg

I understand the first part to get -Ei, but it's the second line of the next bit I don't understand. I see he wants to get line one to the form he has done so he can use the following identity:

##\varepsilon _{ijk}\varepsilon _{ilm} = \delta _{jl}\delta _{km} - \delta _{jm}\delta _{kl}##

But I'm unsure how he has got there and line 2 to 3 looks a little iffy. I've tried using ##\delta _{ij}\delta _{jk} = \delta _{ik}## but that didn't go very well, and also I've always thought something of the form ##\delta_{i}^{l} ## was the kroneka delta function, so I'm unsure how it would come in here.

If someone can help by putting a couple of inbetween stages in the derivation it would really help my understanding of what is going on and the notation / identities he's used.

Physics news on Phys.org
## \delta^{i}{}_l\delta^{j}{}_m \partial^lA^m= \partial^iA^j##

etc.

Likes rwooduk
Thanks for the reply, I can see that relation by looking at the difference between the lines, but how did he get the ## \partial^iA^j## term to equal that?
thanks again

The sum over ##m## when there is a ##\delta_i^m## is non-zero only when ##i = m## and you can replace the ##m## sum by simply replacing the other ##m## by the ##i## and removing the delta.

Likes rwooduk
Orodruin said:
The sum over ##m## when there is a ##\delta_i^m## is non-zero only when ##i = m## and you can replace the ##m## sum by simply replacing the other ##m## by the ##i## and removing the delta.

ahh ok i see so j must = m and i must = m so it goes to Am. And likewise i must = l and j must = l therefore it goes to delta l. This is probably a stupid question, but wouldn't you then get zero in the bracket? i.e. (1-1)

rwooduk said:
This is probably a stupid question, but wouldn't you then get zero in the bracket? i.e. (1-1)
No. In one of the terms the i replaces the l and in the other it replaces the m. This gives different terms.

Likes rwooduk
Orodruin said:
No. In one of the terms the i replaces the l and in the other it replaces the m. This gives different terms.

hmm, kind of got that, ok thanks, will work on this some more.

Thanks for all the replies.

Isn't this way too complicated? I usually write
$$F^{ij}=\partial^{i} A^{j} - \partial^{j} A^i=-(\partial_i A^j-\partial_{j} A^{i})=-\epsilon^{ijk} B^{k},$$
where one has to keep in mind that
$$\partial^i=-\partial_i=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}$$
and then use that
$$\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}.$$

Likes rwooduk
vanhees71 said:
-(\partial_i A^j-\partial_{j} A^{i})=-\epsilon^{ijk} B^{k},$$

do you go from LHS to RHS from memory, or are you saying you used the things you say below it? It's the steps inbetween I'm interested in.

would welcome a simpler 'derivation' of this step though

This is simply the definition of the curl operation and the vector potential by ##\vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}##.

Likes rwooduk

1. What is the electromagnetic field strength tensor?

The electromagnetic field strength tensor is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic force that describes the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields at any given point in space and time. It is a 4x4 matrix that combines the electric and magnetic fields into a single entity.

2. How is the electromagnetic field strength tensor derived?

The electromagnetic field strength tensor is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. The tensor is obtained by using vector calculus operations on these equations, such as taking derivatives and cross products.

3. What are the components of the electromagnetic field strength tensor?

The electromagnetic field strength tensor has 16 components, which are usually denoted as Fμν (where μ and ν represent the four dimensions of space and time). These components represent the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields in different combinations. For example, F01 represents the electric field in the x direction, while F23 represents the magnetic field in the z direction.

4. What is the significance of the electromagnetic field strength tensor?

The electromagnetic field strength tensor is an important tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It allows scientists to calculate the electric and magnetic fields at any point in space and time, and is used in various areas of physics, such as electrodynamics, relativity, and quantum field theory.

5. How is the electromagnetic field strength tensor used in practical applications?

The electromagnetic field strength tensor is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic circuits, electromagnetic devices, and antennas. It is also used in fields like medical imaging, where it helps to create detailed images of the human body using magnetic fields. Additionally, the tensor is used in theoretical physics research to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in extreme conditions, such as in black holes or during the early stages of the universe.