Deriving the energy density of the Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the potential energy of a system of two protons at a distance b apart, using the electric field of each proton. The integral for the system's potential energy is shown to have a value of e2/4πε0b. The conversation also includes a discussion on the integration process and solving the integral using Mathematica. Finally, a substitution method for solving the integral is suggested.
KvGroOve

Homework Statement

Taken from Purcell Problem 1.33
Consider the electric field of two protons a distance b apart. The potential energy of the system ought to be given by

U=∫E2dv.

Let E1 be the field of one particle alone and E2 that of the other. Evaluate

ε0E1E2dv.

Set one of the protons at the origin and the other on the polar axis. Perform the integration over r before the integration over θ. Show that the integral has the value e2/4πε0b.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I uploaded my attempt. I started by applying Coulomb's Law for Electric Fields to both protons. I broke down r1 and r2 into their Cartesian components to perform the dot product between the two. Since the two charges were both on the Polar Axis (I think I chose the right axis), I set φ12. I assumed that r1=r and θ1=θ. I eventually got an expression involving r22 and Cos[θ2-θ]. I was able to rewrite r22 using the law of cosines. I have no idea how to address θ2. I figured that I could use the law of sines to figure it out but the expression turns out to be really messy. I'm not really sure if I'm on the right track or if I've made an error anywhere.

Any advice regarding my mistakes and/or pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 803
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that your ##\theta_2 - \theta_1## is just the angle ##\beta## between the two position vectors. You could have gotten your final expression for ##\mathbf r_2 \cdot \mathbf r_1## more easily by thinking of the dot product in terms of the angle between the vectors.
upload_2017-9-5_13-10-23.png

Your idea of proceeding with the law of cosines and the law of sines sounds good to me.
##\cos \beta## will simplify fairly nicely in terms of ##\theta##, ##r_1## and ##r_2##.

Likes KvGroOve
Something seems funny to me. The total electric field is ##\mathbf{E_{T}}=\mathbf{E_{1}}+\mathbf{E_{2}}## so the energy density of the field is
$$u=\frac{\epsilon}{2}|\mathbf{E_{T}}|^{2}=\epsilon\left[\frac{1}{2}E_{1}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}E_{2}^{2}+\mathbf{E_{1}}\cdot\mathbf{E_{2}}\right]$$
not
$$u=\mathbf{E_{1}}\cdot\mathbf{E_{2}}$$
as shown in the problem. Are you actually finding the energy of the electric field or do you just need to solve the integral they gave you?

Likes KvGroOve
NFuller said:
Are you actually finding the energy of the electric field or do you just need to solve the integral they gave you?
The E12 and E22 contributions are "self-energy" contributions which are infinite for point charges. A physicist just sweeps these under the rug :blushing:. The dot product part is the energy of interaction.

Likes KvGroOve and NFuller
I finally got it. I don't think I did it elegantly because I had to use Mathematica to help me solve an integral. Regardless, thanks for your help, TSny!

Attachments

• Purcell1.33(2).png
    Purcell1.33(2).png
    15.8 KB · Views: 629
OK. Good. To do the r integration, you can do a substitution letting u be the expression inside the ( ... )3/2 in the denominator.

Likes KvGroOve
Wow. That makes it such a trivial integral to solve - I can't help but to laugh. Thanks again!

1. What is the formula for deriving the energy density of the Electric Field?

The formula for deriving the energy density of the Electric Field is U = (1/2)ε0E2, where U is the energy density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and E is the electric field strength.

2. How is the energy density of the Electric Field related to the strength of the electric field?

The energy density of the Electric Field is directly proportional to the square of the electric field strength. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the energy density also increases.

3. What is the significance of the permittivity of free space in the energy density formula?

The permittivity of free space, ε0, is a fundamental constant that represents the ability of a vacuum to allow electric fields to pass through it. Its value determines the strength of the electric field for a given energy density.

4. Can the energy density of the Electric Field be negative?

No, the energy density of the Electric Field cannot be negative. Since it is derived from the square of the electric field strength, it will always be a positive value.

5. How is the energy density of the Electric Field used in practical applications?

The energy density of the Electric Field is used in various practical applications such as calculating the energy stored in a capacitor, determining the energy required to maintain a certain electric field in a given space, and understanding the energy distribution in electromagnetic waves.