Deriving the formula for double slit diffraction as in Young from Fraunhofer

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of deriving the formula for the double slit diffraction pattern from the Fraunhofer formula. The equations involved and the attempts at solving the problem are also mentioned. It is revealed that taking the limit as the slit width goes to zero is necessary to recover the Young diffraction pattern.
NanakiXIII

Homework Statement

I apologize for the blurriness in my title, I couldn't find anything better to fit within the length limit. The problem I'm stuck with, paraphrased, is to derive the formula for the diffraction pattern of a double slit, as found in the Young experiment, from the Fraunhofer formula for the same pattern. That is, you start with

[tex]
I = 4 I_0 \frac{(\sin{\beta})^2}{\beta^2} (\cos{\alpha})^2
[/tex]

with

[tex]
\alpha = \frac{k a}{2} \sin{\theta}; \beta = \frac{k a}{2} \sin{\theta}
[/tex]

where [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are the distance between the slits and the width of the slits, respectively, and [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle to the normal of the plane of the slits, and you have to prove that is identical to

[tex]
I = 4 I_0 (\cos{\frac{y a \pi}{s \lambda}})^2
[/tex]

where [tex]y[/tex] is the distance from the point on the screen you're looking at to the center between the slits, projected onto the screen, and [tex]s[/tex] is the distance from the slits to the screen.

I hope that makes sense. I'm trying to be clear, but it's not so easy without images. Perhaps it would be best to hope these are the equations generally used for these situations.

Homework Equations

The relevant equation are really in the problem itself.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can in part see that the cosines in both equations are the same, because

[tex]
\alpha = \frac{k a}{2} \sin{\theta} = \frac{2 \pi a}{2 \lambda} \sin{\theta} = \frac{2 \pi a}{2 \lambda} \frac{y}{\sqrt{y^2 + s^2}},
[/tex]

which, for small angles, approximates to

[tex]
\alpha = \frac{\pi a y}{\lambda s}.
[/tex]

I'm guessing that's the way to handle the cosine. If it is, then that means that

[tex]\frac{(\sin{\beta})^2}{\beta^2} = 1.[/tex]

I've tried filling in the expression for [tex]\beta[/tex] from above, and I also tried writing it just as I wrote the expression for [tex]\alpha[/tex] for the cosine, but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. It makes me doubt, also, what I did with [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Either I did that wrong, or I'm probably missing something small, but I'm stumped right now. Does anyone see the mistake I made or the direction in which I need to be pointed?

Physics news on Phys.org
NanakiXIII said:
[tex]
\alpha = \frac{k a}{2} \sin{\theta}; \beta = \frac{k a}{2} \sin{\theta}
[/tex]
You have a typo here. That second expression should have b instead of a.
I can in part see that the cosines in both equations are the same, because

[tex]
\alpha = \frac{k a}{2} \sin{\theta} = \frac{2 \pi a}{2 \lambda} \sin{\theta} = \frac{2 \pi a}{2 \lambda} \frac{y}{\sqrt{y^2 + s^2}},
[/tex]

which, for small angles, approximates to

[tex]
\alpha = \frac{\pi a y}{\lambda s}.
[/tex]
Looks OK.

I'm guessing that's the way to handle the cosine. If it is, then that means that

[tex]\frac{(\sin{\beta})^2}{\beta^2} = 1.[/tex]
Right.
I've tried filling in the expression for [tex]\beta[/tex] from above, and I also tried writing it just as I wrote the expression for [tex]\alpha[/tex] for the cosine, but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. It makes me doubt, also, what I did with [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Either I did that wrong, or I'm probably missing something small, but I'm stumped right now. Does anyone see the mistake I made or the direction in which I need to be pointed?
Hint: What happens when the slit width goes to zero?

Yes, that's a typo, sorry. I seem to have misplaced my Edit button, though.

When the slit width goes to zero, [tex]\beta[/tex] goes to zero and the Sinc function goes to one. Why would the slit width go to zero, though?

NanakiXIII said:
Why would the slit width go to zero, though?
In real life it doesn't (obviously). But to recover the Young diffraction pattern (which ignores single slit diffraction due to the width of the slits), one takes the limit of the Fraunhofer formula as slit width goes to zero. (Although your paraphrasing of the problem asks to show that the two formulas are identical--that doesn't make sense to me.)

Hmm, I see, I didn't know that. And indeed it wasn't clear that this was to be done from the question. If I am to translate the question more directly, it says

"Consider the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern for two slits with slit width b and distance a.

a) [Irrelevant]
b) The two-slit diffraction pattern, measured on a screen at distance s from the slits, is also described by the formula from the Young experiment:

[Formula from the Young experiment]

Derive this formula from the formula for the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern."

Apparently I was supposed to just know that you have to take the limit for b->0 if you want to get the Young formula, I just don't remember learning about that anywhere. Thanks a lot for pointing that out, that was the missing link.

What is the basis for Young's double slit experiment?

The basis for Young's double slit experiment is the wave nature of light. Thomas Young conducted this experiment in the early 1800s to prove that light behaves like a wave when passing through two narrow slits.

How is the formula for double slit diffraction derived from Fraunhofer?

The formula for double slit diffraction can be derived from the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern, which describes the diffraction of light as it passes through a single slit. By using a mathematical analysis of the Fraunhofer pattern, the formula for double slit diffraction can be obtained.

What factors affect the double slit diffraction pattern?

The double slit diffraction pattern is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two slits, the wavelength of light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. The pattern can also be influenced by the size and shape of the slits, and the presence of any obstructions in the path of the light.

How is the intensity of the double slit diffraction pattern calculated?

The intensity of the double slit diffraction pattern can be calculated using the formula I = I0cos2(φ/2), where I0 is the intensity at the center of the pattern and φ is the phase difference between the two waves from the slits. This formula takes into account the constructive and destructive interference of the waves.

What are some real-world applications of the double slit diffraction phenomenon?

The double slit diffraction phenomenon has many practical applications, including the use of diffraction gratings in spectrometers to analyze the composition of light sources. It is also used in the development of holograms, as well as in optical storage devices such as CDs and DVDs. Additionally, the diffraction of electrons through a double slit has been used to study the wave-particle duality of matter.