Deriving the Simple Pendulum Solution: Second Order and Cosine

So the next step is to figure out how to write$$Mcosx+Nsinx=Rcos(x-\alpha)$$as$$Rcos(x-\alpha)$$This is a standard trick that is used everywhere. Can you figure out how to write the LHS as$$Ccos(x-\alpha)$$where C is a constant? Once you understand how to do that, you will be able to figure out the answer to your original question.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys I am having a problem deriving this solution for a simply pendulum. Could someone please help me.

upload_2017-2-3_10-18-36.png

My issue is taking the second order and getting into just cos. I have attempted a solution which is shown below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\theta^{''}+\frac{g}{l}\theta=0$$

$$ p^2+\frac{g}{l}\theta=0$$

$$\omega^2=\frac{g}{l}$$

So general solution: $$\theta (t) = Ae^{i\sqrt{\omega t }}+Be^{-i\sqrt{\omega t }}$$[/B]using the fact that: $$e^{(\pm) i \omega t}=cos{\omega t}\pm sin{i\omega t }$$

I get the general equation:

$$\theta (t)= (A+B)cos(\omega t)+ i(A-B)sin(\omega t)$$

I am now confused on what to do next. I was thinking that beacuse I am only looking for real values the i component would be equal to 0. But I do no think this is the case, I am just really can't figure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
So general solution: $$\theta (t) = Ae^{i\sqrt{\omega t }}+Be^{-i\sqrt{\omega t }}$$
There should be no square root there. The next step should be to convert this equation to a single exponential with a phase shift.

Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys I am having a problem deriving this solution for a simply pendulum. Could someone please help me.

View attachment 112484

My issue is taking the second order and getting into just cos. I have attempted a solution which is shown below.

I am now confused on what to do next. I was thinking that beacuse I am only looking for real values the i component would be equal to 0. But I do no think this is the case, I am just really can't figure why.

As Dr. Claude has said, you should be looking at ##e^{\pm i \omega t}##, without the square root. Anyway, ##A## and ##B## are just some constants; they can be complex, so you could end up with real ##C_1 = A+B## and ##C_2 = i(A-B)##. Can you see how to write ##C_1 \cos (\omega t) + C_2 \sin (\omega t)## as ##C_3 \cos (\omega t + \phi)## of ##C_4 \sin (\omega t + \lambda)?## (Hint: it is a standard trick, used everywhere.)

Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 112484

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\theta^{''}+\frac{g}{l}\theta=0$$

$$ p^2+\frac{g}{l}\theta=0$$

$$\omega^2=\frac{g}{l}$$

So general solution: $$\theta (t) = Ae^{i\sqrt{\omega t }}+Be^{-i\sqrt{\omega t }}$$[/B]using the fact that: $$e^{(\pm) i \omega t}=cos{\omega t}\pm sin{i\omega t }$$

A and B are not real; they are complex. But as [itex]e^{i\omega t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-i\omega t}[/itex] are complex conjugates and we want [itex]\theta[/itex] to be real, we must have [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] as complex conjugates, [itex]A = \frac 12 (C - iD)[/itex], [itex]B = \frac12 (C + iD)[/itex]. Thus
[tex]
A + B = C \in \mathbb{R}, \\
i(A - B) = D \in \mathbb{R}.[/tex]

Ok thank you for the respones. I think I have figured it.

$$Mcosx+Nsinx=Rcos(x-\alpha)$$
##M= cos (\alpha)## & ##N= sin(\alpha)##

$$\sqrt{M^2+N^2}=R$$

I have notice that $$sinx+cosx $$
is similar to $$cos(x-\frac{\pi}{4})$$

Am i on the right lines I am now just trying to figure the relation. I have a feeling that

$$M=N=\frac{\pi}{4}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor_1989 said:
$$Mcosx+Nsinx=Rcos(x-\alpha)$$
I have a feeling that
$$M=N=\frac{\pi}{4}$$
wrong feeling. cos(a-b)=cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). Apply that to the first equation above.

@haruspex so If i apply to the above I get the following:

##M=\cos \alpha## and ##N=\sin \alpha## But I am not seeing the connection. Surley R is just $$
\sqrt{M^2+N^2}=R
$$
Mod edit: Fixed broken tex - To OP: don't put a space between \ and alpha

Taylor_1989 said:
##M=\cos \alpha## & ##N=\sin \alpha##
If that were true then R=1. How did the R disappear when following my suggestion?

Taylor_1989 said:
Surley R is just
√(M2+N2)=R​
That is correct, but it does not tell you what M and N are individually.

Last edited:
@haruspex
Not matter which I got about it, I keep get $$\frac{N}{M}=tan\alpha $$. I have tried doing via subsituion and still come back with the same result:

$$M=(M^2+N^2)cos^2\alpha$$
expanding this out still gives the same result as the above. I am really not sure how to get M and N independent of each other, other than say ##M=Rcos\alpha## & ##N=Rsin\alpha##

Mod edit: Don't use & inside a tex expression -- it causes the expression to not render. Also, use \ in front of alpha, theta, etc., not /.

@pasimth
pasmith said:
A and B are not real; they are complex. But as [itex]e^{i\omega t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-i\omega t}[/itex] are complex conjugates and we want [itex]\theta[/itex] to be real, we must have [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] as complex conjugates, [itex]A = \frac 12 (C - iD)[/itex], [itex]B = \frac12 (C + iD)[/itex]. Thus
[tex]
A + B = C \in \mathbb{R}, \\
i(A - B) = D \in \mathbb{R}.[/tex]

how did u form the above equations

Taylor_1989 said:
@pasimthhow did u form the above equations

You formed them yourself in post #1!

Taylor_1989 said:
##M=R\cos\alpha## & ##N=R\sin\alpha##
Exactly.
By the way, the latex comes out a bit better if you also put \ in front of trig functions and log functions. Don't leave a space after \.

Taylor_1989 said:
@pasimthhow did u form the above equations
Look at your last equation in post #1. The left hand side must be real, the cos and sin functions return real numbers, and the equation has to be true for all t. The only way this can be is if the coefficients of the trig functions are both real. So A+B is real and i(A-B) is real. It's easy to show that A and B must be complex conjugates.

And you meant pasmith.

Ok I have deiced to forget everything and start from the begin, because something is just sinking in here, so I came up with what hopefully will be correct method:

So my train of thought is as follows
So I have two solution ( by the way I have striped the coefficient for now to just simplify), which are shown below:

$$ \theta(t)$$

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight, called a bob, suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. It swings back and forth under the force of gravity, creating a periodic motion.

2. What factors affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also influenced by air resistance and friction.

3. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the length of a simple pendulum affect its period?

The length of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that as the length increases, the period also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the angle of release affect the period of a simple pendulum?

Yes, the angle of release can affect the period of a simple pendulum. When the angle of release is larger, the pendulum will swing with a larger amplitude, causing the period to increase. However, for small angles, the period remains constant.