Describe all points (x,y) satisfying the equation

• Thread starter AKJ1
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, all points (x,y) that satisfy the given equation form a line on a graph with a slope of 1 and a y-intercept of 3. This means that the y-coordinate will always be 3 more than the x-coordinate. Any values of x and y that do not fit this pattern do not satisfy the equation. Additionally, any points on the line can be represented as (x, x+3) where x is any real number.
AKJ1

Homework Statement

Problem that was gone over in class, but I missed part of the lecture

Describe all points (x,y) satisfying | p - s | + | p - t | = Q

where,
Vector p = <x,y>
Vector s = <a,b>
Vector t = <c,d>

a,b,c,d and Q are constants and Q is greater than | s - t |

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the graph is a cylinder, but I am having a lot of trouble trying to verify or describe that. I've tried writing in the components and brute forcing it, but it ends up quite hairy. I also have tried squaring both sides and using the fact that if u and v are vectors then

| u + v | ^2 = |u|^2 + |v|^2

But I haven't made much progress there either. Is there some identity or simplification I am not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned conic sections? If you have, I suggest that you review again your notes especially about how each type of curve resulting from various conic sections is geometrically defined. If you have not, then you might have to go through lines of tedious algebra, although not that lengthy.

blue_leaf77 said:
Have you learned conic sections? If you have, I suggest that you review again your notes especially about how each type of curve resulting from various conic sections is geometrically defined. If you have not, then you might have to go through lines of tedious algebra, although not that lengthy.

http://www.stewartcalculus.com/data/ESSENTIAL CALCULUS Early Transcendentals/upfiles/ess-reviewofconics.pdf

Thats about the extent of my knowledge of conics. Which is probably sufficient, but I am having a hard time making the connection.

sqrt( (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 ) = Q - sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 )

square both sides

x^2 - 2xa + a^2 + y^2 -2yb + b^2 = Q^2 -2Q*sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 ) + x^2 -2xc + c^2 + y^2 - 2yd + d^2

collect some terms and simplify

2x(c-a) + 2y(d-b) + a^2 + b^2 - c^2 - d^2 - Q^2 = -2Q*sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 )

About here is where I get stuck. I know I was given information about Q, but I am not quite sure how to take advantage of that just yet.

Last edited:
AKJ1 said:
http://www.stewartcalculus.com/data/ESSENTIAL CALCULUS Early Transcendentals/upfiles/ess-reviewofconics.pdf

Thats about the extent of my knowledge of conics. Which is probably sufficient, but I am having a hard time making the connection.

sqrt( (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 ) = k - sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 )

square both sides

x^2 - 2xa + a^2 + y^2 -2yb + b^2 = k^2 -2k*sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 ) + x^2 -2xc + c^2 + y^2 - 2yd + d^2

2x(c-a) + 2y(d-b) + a^2 + b^2 - c^2 - d^2 - k^2 = -2k*sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 )

About here is where I get stuck. I know I was given information about K, but I am not quite sure how to take advantage of that just yet.
Take one more square. Obviously, it's going to be a tedious work though, may be there are other members who can propose quicker method. But if I were you, I will try coordinate transformation first. For example bring the origin to one of the fixed point, for example the vector ##\mathbf{t}##, and then rotate the translated coordinate such that the vector ##\mathbf{s}## lies in the new x axis. In short, after applying this transformation you get
$$
\begin{aligned}
\mathbf{t} &\rightarrow 0 \\
\mathbf{s} &\rightarrow \gamma\hat{\mathbf{x}}'
\end{aligned}
$$.
where ##(x',y')## are the new coordinate system and ##\gamma = |\mathbf{s}-\mathbf{t}|##.

Last edited:
Likes AKJ1
blue_leaf77 said:
Take one more square. Obviously, it's going to be a tedious work though, may be there are other members who can propose quicker method. But if I were you, I will try coordinate transformation first. For example bring the origin to one of the fixed point, for example the vector ##\mathbf{t}##, and then rotate the translated coordinate such that the vector ##\mathbf{s}## lies in the new x axis. In short, after applying this transformation you get
$$
\begin{aligned}
\mathbf{t} &\rightarrow 0 \\
\mathbf{s} &\rightarrow \gamma\hat{\mathbf{x}}'
\end{aligned}
$$.
where ##(x',y')## are the new coordinate system and ##\gamma = |\mathbf{s}-\mathbf{t}|##.

Will give it a go, thanks! :)

AKJ1 said:

Homework Statement

Problem that was gone over in class, but I missed part of the lecture

Describe all points (x,y) satisfying | p - s | + | p - t | = Q
Note that the above is an equation, not an expression, as implied in your thread title ("Describe all points (x,y) satisfying the expression"). If a point (x, y) satisfies an equation, the equation becomes a true statement for those values of x and y. You can't say the same thing about an expression.

I'm nitpicking here, but it is important to understand the difference between an expression and an equation.
AKJ1 said:
where,
Vector p = <x,y>
Vector s = <a,b>
Vector t = <c,d>

a,b,c,d and Q are constants and Q is greater than | s - t |

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the graph is a cylinder, but I am having a lot of trouble trying to verify or describe that. I've tried writing in the components and brute forcing it, but it ends up quite hairy. I also have tried squaring both sides and using the fact that if u and v are vectors then

| u + v | ^2 = |u|^2 + |v|^2
This isn't true in general. However, it is true that ##|u + v|^2 \le |u|^2 + |v|^2##.
AKJ1 said:
But I haven't made much progress there either. Is there some identity or simplification I am not seeing?

AKJ1 said:

sqrt( (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 ) = Q - sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 )

square both sides

x^2 - 2xa + a^2 + y^2 -2yb + b^2 = Q^2 -2Q*sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 ) + x^2 -2xc + c^2 + y^2 - 2yd + d^2

2x(c-a) + 2y(d-b) + a^2 + b^2 - c^2 - d^2 - Q^2 = -2Q*sqrt( (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 )

About here is where I get stuck. I know I was given information about Q, but I am not quite sure how to take advantage of that just yet.

You must have missed the part in your link that told you exactly what is the solution to your problem.

blue_leaf77 said:
Take one more square..

Maybe s/he can't spare a square ;).

AKJ1 said:
Will give it a go, thanks! :)
I think what Blue Leaf was trying to get at is that the set of points you describe is the one whose sum of distances to two points is fixed. This is a standard, well-known space.

WWGD said:
I think what Blue Leaf was trying to get at is that the set of points you describe is the one whose sum of distances to two points is fixed. This is a standard, well-known space.
Yep exactly, that's why I brought up straight away the subject of conic section to narrow down the possibility to a few curves. But we have no idea though, what the problem exactly ask, whether it can be answered by explanation by words or must be provided with mathematical steps.

Related to Describe all points (x,y) satisfying the equation

1. What does the equation describe?

The equation describes a relationship between two variables, x and y, in which for every value of x there is a corresponding value of y that satisfies the equation.

2. How do I find all the points that satisfy the equation?

To find all the points that satisfy the equation, you can use various methods such as graphing, substitution, or solving algebraically.

3. Can there be an infinite number of points that satisfy the equation?

Yes, depending on the equation, there can be an infinite number of points that satisfy the equation. This is often the case with linear equations or equations with multiple solutions.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x and y that satisfy the equation?

There may be restrictions on the values of x and y that satisfy the equation, depending on the specific equation. For example, some equations may have a domain or range that restricts the values of x and y.

5. How can I use the points that satisfy the equation?

The points that satisfy the equation can be used to plot a graph, analyze patterns, and make predictions about the relationship between x and y. They can also be used to solve real-world problems and make mathematical models.