Describe the gradient of a function of 3 variables

In summary, the homework statement is to find the gradient of a function. The function is to be found in the xy, xz, yz, and ρ planes. The gradient is to be found using the following equation: gradient f(x,y,z)=√(x^2+y^2+z^2)
kosovo dave
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Match the function with the description of its gradient.

Homework Equations

f(x,y,z)=√(x^2+y^2+z^2)
1. constant, parallel to xy plane
2. constant, parallel to xz plane
3. constant, parallel to yz plane
4. radial, increasing in magnitude away from the origin
5. radial, constant magnitude
6. radial, decreasing in magnitude away from origin

The Attempt at a Solution

grad f(x,y,z)=(df/dx)i+(df/dy)j+(df/dz)k
grad f=[(x^2+y^2+z^2)^-.5](xi+yj+zk)

I know it's definitely radial. I found a solution online that said the magnitude was constant though, and I can't tell why.

Physics news on Phys.org
kosovo dave said:

Homework Statement

Match the function with the description of its gradient.

Homework Equations

f(x,y,z)=√(x^2+y^2+z^2)
1. constant, parallel to xy plane
2. constant, parallel to xz plane
3. constant, parallel to yz plane
4. radial, increasing in magnitude away from the origin
5. radial, constant magnitude
6. radial, decreasing in magnitude away from origin

The Attempt at a Solution

grad f(x,y,z)=(df/dx)i+(df/dy)j+(df/dz)k
grad f=[(x^2+y^2+z^2)^-.5](xi+yj+zk)

I know it's definitely radial. I found a solution online that said the magnitude was constant though, and I can't tell why.

Well, what is the magnitude of the grad f you computed? What the magnitude of (xi+yj+zk)?

Likes 1 person
Oh I think I get it now. I'd end up with sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) just leaving the vector i+j+k?

kosovo dave said:
Oh I think I get it now. I'd end up with sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) just leaving the vector i+j+k?

Almost, you want to find |grad f|. You replaced the vector with its magnitude. You are left with just 1.

Likes 1 person
Clear as the Mississippi! Just kidding. I get it now. Thanks for the help, Dick!

1. What is a gradient in terms of a function of 3 variables?

A gradient is a vector that represents the rate of change of a 3 variable function in a particular direction. It shows how quickly the function changes in each coordinate direction.

2. How is the gradient of a function of 3 variables calculated?

The gradient of a function of 3 variables is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to each of the 3 variables and combining them into a vector.

3. What does the direction of the gradient vector indicate?

The direction of the gradient vector indicates the direction of the steepest increase of the function. This means that if you move in the direction of the gradient, the function will increase at the fastest rate.

4. How is the magnitude of the gradient vector related to the rate of change of the function?

The magnitude of the gradient vector is directly proportional to the rate of change of the function. The larger the magnitude of the gradient, the steeper the slope of the function and therefore the faster the function is changing.

5. Can the gradient of a function of 3 variables be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a function of 3 variables can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in that particular direction. A negative gradient can also indicate a local minimum or maximum point in the function.