Describing path of the object in an xy plane

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a circle centered at a given point and how it can be used to determine the motion of an object. The coordinates of the object satisfy the equation of the circle, which is how it is known that the object moves in a circular path with a radius of 5.00m centered at (0,4.00m). The equation of the circle is also simplified using trigonometric identities to better understand the motion of the object.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For part(d) of this problem,
1676517142176.png

The solution is,
1676517195998.png

However, how did they know that the object moves in a circle of radius 5.00m centered at (0,4.00m)?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation of a circle centered at ##(x_0,y_0)##?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
The coordinates satisfy the equation of such a circle. This is how they know.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thank you for your replies @kuruman and @nasu!

The equation of a circle centered at ##(x_0, y_0)## is ##(x - x_0)^2 + (y - y_0)^2 = r^2##

Many thanks!

Can you bring what you have in that form? Remember that ##~\sin^2x+\cos^2x=1.##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Can you bring what you have in that form? Remember that ##~\sin^2x+\cos^2x=1.##
Thank you for your reply @kuruman !

Here is what I got:

##x^2 + y^2 = r^2 ##
##(-5.00sin\omega t)^2 + (4.00 - 5cos\omega t)^2 = r^2 ##
##25sin^2\omega t + 16 - 40cos\omega t +25cos^2\omega t = r^2 ##
##25(sin^2\omega t + cos^2\omega t) +16 - 40cos\omega t = r^2 ##
## 41 - 40cos\omega t = r^2 ##

EDIT: I'm now thinking that I should put the individual position function in the x-components in the y-components in the circle formula I posted.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Here is what I got:
Don't try to prove that way ...
Callumnc1 said:
EDIT: I'm now thinking that I should put the individual position function in the x-components in the y-components in the circle formula I posted.
Yes.
We know that ##x=-5sinωt## and ##y-4=-5cosωt## so we have:
##x^2+(y-4)^2=25sin^2ωt+25cos^2ωt=25## and we know that ##x^2+(y-4)^2=5^2## is equation of a circle with ##r=5## that is centered at ##(0,4)##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
MatinSAR said:
Don't try to prove that way ...

Yes.
We know that ##x=-5sinωt## and ##y-4=-5cosωt## so we have:
##x^2+(y-4)^2=25sin^2ωt+25cos^2ωt=25## and we know that ##x^2+(y-4)^2=5^2## is equation of a circle with ##r=5## that is centered at ##(0,4)##.
Thank you for your reply @MarinSAR! I see now :)

Likes MatinSAR

1. What is an xy plane?

An xy plane is a two-dimensional coordinate system in which two perpendicular axes, the x-axis and y-axis, intersect at a point called the origin. It is commonly used to graph and visualize data in mathematics and science.

2. How is the path of an object described in an xy plane?

The path of an object in an xy plane is described by plotting its coordinates at different points in time. This creates a series of points, which can then be connected to form a line or curve that represents the object's path.

3. What factors affect the path of an object in an xy plane?

The path of an object in an xy plane can be affected by a variety of factors, including the object's initial velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting upon it. The shape and position of the object also play a role in determining its path.

4. How is the path of an object in an xy plane related to its motion?

The path of an object in an xy plane is directly related to its motion. The slope of the path at any given point represents the object's velocity, while the curvature of the path represents its acceleration. By analyzing the path, we can gain insights into the object's motion.

5. What can we learn from describing the path of an object in an xy plane?

Describing the path of an object in an xy plane allows us to understand and analyze its motion. By studying the shape, length, and curvature of the path, we can determine the object's velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting upon it. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy.