Proof of angle in path difference formula for two slits

In summary, Kuruman's proof shows that the two thetas are equal, but he is wondering whether his assumption that the right angle circled in black can be proved. Is there a way to prove this?
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
##r_2 - r_1 = d\sin\theta##
For this
1678321819957.png

I am trying to prove that angle theta between PQ and QO is equal to theta highlighted so that I know I can use theta is the path difference formula. I assume that the rays ##r_1## and ##r_2## are parallel since ##L >> d##
1678322078982.png

1678322148938.png

My proof gives that the two thetas are equal, however I am wondering whether my assumption that the right angle circled in black can be proved. Is there a way to prove this?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
My proof gives that the two thetas are equal, however I am wondering whether my assumption that the right angle circled in black can be proved. Is there a way to prove this?
It's a right angle if you draw a line starting at S1 perpendicular to the ray from S2. That's not the point. The point is whether, when you draw this perpendicular, the segment labeled ##\delta## is the path length difference between the rays from S1 and S2. That is the case when the rays are nearly parallel.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
You are free to choose that to be exactly a right angle before taking the limit that the screen is far away. Only in the limit are the distances delta and d easilly related to theta, but it can be shown that the approximation (not really an assumption) leads to errors that are very small in the Fraunhoffer (radiation) zone far from the slits.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
It's a right angle if you draw a line starting at S1 perpendicular to the ray from S2. That's not the point. The point is whether, when you draw this perpendicular, the segment labeled ##\delta## is the path length difference between the rays from S1 and S2. That is the case when the rays are nearly parallel.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

hutchphd said:
You are free to choose that to be exactly a right angle before taking the limit that the screen is far away. Only in the limit are the distances delta and d easilly related to theta, but it can be shown that the approximation (not really an assumption) leads to errors that are very small in the Fraunhoffer (radiation) zone far from the slits.
Thank you for your reply @hutchphd !

True, I guess it is an approximation not assumption that ## L >> d##. Sorry, what did you mean by errors very small in the Fraunhoffer zone?

Many thanks!

You can look up Fraunhoffer zone. It is really that the diffraction angles aren't too large and that the d<< L. So all the angles are small, and the results are simple. This approximation (Fraunhoffer) works for things other two slit diffraction

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Might get better results if you search on "Fraunhofer" instead of "Fraunhoffer", although Google is pretty good at catching "obvious" spelling errorz. :cool:

• Haha
Likes ChiralSuperfields, hutchphd and SammyS
hutchphd said:
You can look up Fraunhoffer zone. It is really that the diffraction angles aren't too large and that the d<< L. So all the angles are small, and the results are simple. This approximation (Fraunhoffer) works for things other two slit diffraction
Thank you for your help @hutchphd!

jtbell said:
Might get better results if you search on "Fraunhofer" instead of "Fraunhoffer", although Google is pretty good at catching "obvious" spelling errorz. :cool:
Thank you for your reply @jtbell!

Likes hutchphd

What is the proof of the angle in path difference formula for two slits?

The proof of the angle in path difference formula for two slits is based on the principle of superposition, which states that when two waves overlap, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. In the case of two slits, the light waves passing through each slit interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark fringes. The angle in the path difference formula takes into account the distance between the slits and the screen, as well as the wavelength of the light.

How is the angle in path difference formula derived?

The angle in path difference formula is derived using trigonometry and the concept of path difference. Path difference is the difference in distance that two waves travel from their sources to a given point. By considering the path difference and the geometry of the two slits and the screen, the angle in the path difference formula can be calculated.

Why is the angle in path difference formula important?

The angle in path difference formula is important because it allows us to predict the location of the bright and dark fringes in the interference pattern created by two slits. This formula is essential in understanding and analyzing the behavior of light waves and is used in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and quantum mechanics.

What are the assumptions made in the angle in path difference formula?

The angle in path difference formula assumes that the slits are very narrow compared to the distance between them, the light waves are coherent and monochromatic, and the screen is far enough from the slits that the distance between the screen and each slit is approximately the same. These assumptions allow for a simplified calculation of the angle in the path difference formula.

Are there any limitations to the angle in path difference formula?

Yes, there are limitations to the angle in path difference formula. It is only applicable to two-slit interference and cannot be used for other types of interference patterns. Additionally, the formula assumes that the light waves are traveling in a straight line, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It is also important to note that the formula is only accurate for small angles and may become less accurate for larger angles.