Design 2-to-1 Multiplexer Circuit from Truth Table for f

• Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiplexer
In summary, the conversation discusses using a 2-to-1 multiplexer to derive a circuit for the function f = w1w2! + w1w3 + w1!w2 +w1!w3! using a given truth table with 3 inputs. The individual is having trouble understanding how to evaluate for f and requests for the other person to share their work, including the truth table and a visual representation of the 2-to-1 multiplexer.
shamieh
Consider f = w1w2! + w1w3 + w1!w2 +w1!w3! Use the truth table to derive a circuit for f that uses a 2-to-1 multiplexer
I have the truth table, that part is easy. The problem I'm having is what exactly are they EVALUATING to get the f?
Like I said I have the truth table of 3 input, but I don't know how to evaluate for the f. I know it's like a 0 and a 1. But where do I plug in each etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Consider f = w1w2! + w1w3 + w1!w2 +w1!w3! Use the truth table to derive a circuit for f that uses a 2-to-1 multiplexer

I have the truth table, that part is easy. The problem I'm having is what exactly are they EVALUATING to get the f?

Like I said I have the truth table of 3 input, but I don't know how to evaluate for the f. I know it's like a 0 and a 1. But where do I plug in each etc.

Can you please post your work? Show us the truth table, and show what a 2:1 MUX looks like...

1. How does a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit function?

A 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit is a digital logic circuit that has two data input signals, one select input signal, and one output signal. The select input signal determines which data input signal is transmitted to the output. When the select input is low, the first data input is transmitted, and when it is high, the second data input is transmitted.

2. What is the truth table for a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit?

The truth table for a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit has two data inputs (D0 and D1), one select input (S), and one output (Y). The output Y is equal to D0 when S is low, and it is equal to D1 when S is high. The truth table can be represented as:

S D0 D1 Y
0 0 X 0
0 1 X 1
1 X 0 0
1 X 1 1

3. How can I design a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit from a truth table?

To design a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit from a truth table, you will need to use logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates. First, identify the inputs and outputs from the truth table. Then, use the logical expressions for the output based on the inputs to create the circuit using logic gates. For example, the output Y can be represented as Y = (S' * D0) + (S * D1), where ' denotes NOT and * denotes AND.

4. What are some common applications of a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit?

A 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit is commonly used in digital electronics for selecting between two data inputs. It is also used in communication systems for signal routing and in microprocessors for data selection. Additionally, it can be used in combination with other multiplexer circuits to create larger multiplexers with more data input signals.

5. What are the advantages of using a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit?

One of the main advantages of using a 2-to-1 multiplexer circuit is its ability to select between two data inputs using a single select input. This reduces the number of physical components needed and simplifies the circuit design. Additionally, multiplexers have faster switching speeds compared to other digital logic circuits, making them useful in high-speed applications.