Internal energy of compressed gas

In summary,The article discusses compressed air energy storage and quotes a figure of 0.1MJ/L. Using the internal energy calculation, this yields a figure of 0.075 MJ/L.
Bhope69199
Hi,

I've been reading about compressed air energy storage and keep coming across that in 300 bar containers the achievable energy is 0.1MJ/L. Is this 0.1MJ/L of the volume of the air it is compressed to or of the total L of air that was initially used? (E.g If 1500L is compressed to 300 bar into a 5L cylinder will the total energy be 0.5MJ or 150MJ)

I have been trying to work this out but cannot seem to come up with the the 0.1MJ/L value.

Using the internal energy calculation U = 5/2PV I get 0.375MJ which is 0.00025MJ/L . (5L volume at 300 bar = 1500L total air. If I compress 1500L of air at 300 bar it can compress to 5L with total internal energy of 0.375MJ)

Could someone explain how they worked out the 0.1MJ/L value and where I am going wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you be able to give a link to the article that you read?

Look at the Wiki of compressed energy storage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_air_energy_storage
Isothermal storage or adiabatic can theoretically give a 100% return, but most likely there will be losses for the shaft work.

Yes, a link to what you are reading would be wonderful.

I read the IJRMET article. They mention about 0.1 MJ/L, so 0.075 MJ/L I guess is in the ballpark (25% off). It also tosses out 0.1 MJ/kg, which at 300 bar, air has a density of 0.3 kg/L, so that figure is more achievable. It was really showing as a comparison to other ways of storing energy such as batteries or fuel, so being 25% off, doesn't seem too bad for those comparisons.

OK thanks but where did you get the 0.075 MJ/L figure from?

I calculated the total being 0.7MJ so works out as either 0.14MJ/L if only considering the 5L (which is similar) or 0.00047 MJ/L if considering the total gas used of 1500L.

If it is the 0.14MJ/L then I am assuming it is per L of compressed gas.

Bhope69199 said:
OK thanks but where did you get the 0.075 MJ/L figure from?

I calculated the total being 0.7MJ so works out as either 0.14MJ/L if only considering the 5L (which is similar) or 0.00047 MJ/L if considering the total gas used of 1500L.

If it is the 0.14MJ/L then I am assuming it is per L of compressed gas.

You had a figure of 0.375MJ for 5 liters, which I divided. From the context of the article, it looks like it is the compressed volume they are talking about. I remember reading an article in Popular Science, probably 30 years ago, where they had tested something to drive a small vehicle around a warehouse or something, then there would be stations at different locations to swap out the air tank (which could refill). The "engine" was all plastic parts, if I remember. I'm going from memory.

OK so they only consider the 5L final volume rather than the initial volume of air used at the start (1500L).

Thanks for your help.

Likes scottdave
Bhope69199 said:
OK so they only consider the 5L final volume rather than the initial volume of air used at the start (1500L).

Thanks for your help.
Yes. Suppose we want to compare compressed air and liquid propane (LP) and maybe compressed natural gas as possible energy sources for running a golf cart. You would look at these, as they are going to be installed at the equipment, not in the uncompressed state.

What is internal energy of compressed gas?

Internal energy of compressed gas refers to the total energy contained within a gas due to the movement and interactions of its particles. It includes both the kinetic and potential energies of the gas molecules.

How is the internal energy of compressed gas measured?

The internal energy of compressed gas can be measured using various methods, including thermodynamic equations, calorimetry, and spectroscopy. These methods allow for the determination of the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gas, which are important factors in calculating its internal energy.

What factors affect the internal energy of compressed gas?

The internal energy of compressed gas is affected by the amount of gas present, the temperature and pressure of the gas, and the type of gas molecules present. The internal energy also depends on the volume of the container in which the gas is compressed.

Can the internal energy of compressed gas be changed?

Yes, the internal energy of compressed gas can be changed through various processes, such as heating or cooling, expansion or compression, and chemical reactions. These processes can alter the temperature, pressure, or volume of the gas, thereby changing its internal energy.

What is the significance of studying the internal energy of compressed gas?

Understanding the internal energy of compressed gas is important in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It allows for the prediction and control of gas behavior, which is essential in many industrial and scientific applications. Furthermore, the study of internal energy contributes to our understanding of thermodynamics and the principles governing energy transfer and conversion.