Design experiment to determine bending strength and torsion of ruler

In summary, the conversation was about designing a simple experiment to determine the bending strength and torsion of a plastic ruler. The goal was to compare the bending strength of two different plastic rulers by measuring how far they could bend before breaking. The suggested experiments involved placing a force on the ruler and measuring its deflection or rotation angle, but there was uncertainty about whether this would accurately determine strength or stiffness. The conversation also mentioned limited equipment and a desire for a simple experiment for determining torsion.
patehi
hello everyone!

so as the title suggest, i wonder if anyone would have any idea to design a simple experiment to determine the bending strength and torsion of a plastic ruler.
it doesn't need to be extensive, as the value of the strenght itself isn't important. i just want to know e.g how far could the ruler bend before breaking. and when i have the result, i could compare it with another plastic ruler.

I don't have any measuring devide, all i have is a protractor and ill have some way of determining the angle of bend.
(i also have a dynamometer if that would help in any way)

here is my suggestion of the bending strength experiment:

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/3729/vj0e.png
for this experiment i just put the ruler on the table and apply F at the end and determine the angle. Although it is actually pretty inaccurate to read the angle to determine its strengh :/

and here another suggestion:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/rjkx.jpg/

i put the ruler on 2 objets and apply F to the middle part.ill determine how far will it bend in cm.

Do you guys have any suggestion for this experiment? as i said, i have limited device and i would prefer an experiment as simple as possible.

Also, i would be needing a design experiment to determine the torsion of the plastic ruler too. Alhthough i don't really know how to do it without proper measuring divide :/

So i would appreciate if anyone could give an idea about it! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If you are placing a force on the ruler less than that required to break it, and determining its deflection or rotation angle under that force, you will determine how stiff the ruler is and not how strong it is. For example, certain grades of aluminum have the same strength of certain grades of steel, but the aluminum of the same dimensions as the steel will deflect three times more under the same load. Or you can take a low strength steel and a high strength steel and discover they will have the same deflection under the same load up to the yielding failure of the former.

1. What materials will be needed for this experiment?

For this experiment, you will need a ruler, a weight scale, weights, a clamp, and a protractor.

2. How do you measure the bending strength of the ruler?

To measure the bending strength, you will need to set up the ruler horizontally on two supports and gradually add weights to the center until it bends. The weight at which the ruler bends is the bending strength.

3. How do you measure the torsion of the ruler?

To measure the torsion, you will need to clamp one end of the ruler and twist the other end until it reaches a certain angle. The angle at which the ruler twists is the torsion.

4. How many trials should be conducted for accurate results?

For accurate results, it is recommended to conduct at least three trials for each measurement and take the average of the results.

5. How do you calculate the bending strength and torsion of the ruler?

The bending strength can be calculated by dividing the weight at which the ruler bends by the width of the ruler. The torsion can be calculated by dividing the angle at which the ruler twists by the length of the ruler.