Designing a +10V Supply with Emitter Follower Circuit: A Practical Approach

• Thread starter irishhockey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
In summary, the task is to design a +10V supply with a maximum output current of 100mA. The unregulated supply has a voltage range of 20-25V with ripple. The circuit diagram is provided. The approach is based on the equations for current in the base and emitter, where Ibase * beta = Icollector and Iemitter = Ibase (1+beta) = Ibase + Icollector. It is also known that Iemitter=Ibase +0.6V. The zener requires a constant 10mA to control the dynamic resistance. The challenge lies in determining the appropriate resistors. In the worst case scenario of the power supply being 20V, the voltage drop across the
irishhockey

Homework Statement

Design a +10V supply with the following specs:
Iout =0-100 mA
Vout =10V
Vin=20-25V (unregulated supply w/ ripple)

The circuit will have the diagram attached.

The book I am using is The Art of Electronics, which is very "practical" the authoppr says things like why worry about calculating something to 1 in 100, when you will then reach for a 10% resistor or 20% cap.

Homework Equations

Ibase * beta = Icollector
Iemitter = Ibase (1+beta) = Ibase + Icollector
Iemitter=Ibase +0.6V

The Attempt at a Solution

I start at the output, 10V and 0-100mA. The Voltage at the base and also zener must be equal to collector voltage +0.6V. The current in the base is 1/100 the collector current, and output current is 100mA(max) so I base = 1mA and Icollector=100mA. The zener also requires a constant 10mA, which is needed to keep the dynamic resistance under control. My issue is now the resistors.

So, I know that the resistoprs have 25V on the side facing the power supply, and for R, the voltage on the base/zener side is 10.6V. Does this mean I can say the voltage drop across the res is 14.4 V (using 25V and planning for worst case)? If so, can I just say IBASE + Izener=11mA, asnd the use V/I=R? if so Ic an figure everything else out I belive.

Thank you

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
The worst case is when power supply = 20V.

If you assume 25V and compute R your way, what would be the consequence of a "soft" zener voltage if the supply dropped to 20V?

1. What is a transistor emitter follower?

A transistor emitter follower, also known as a common collector amplifier, is a type of circuit configuration that uses a transistor to amplify the input signal while maintaining a low output impedance.

2. How does a transistor emitter follower work?

In a transistor emitter follower, the input signal is connected to the base of the transistor, while the output is taken from the emitter. The emitter voltage follows the base voltage with a small voltage drop, resulting in a lower output impedance compared to the input impedance.

3. What are the advantages of using a transistor emitter follower?

Some advantages of using a transistor emitter follower include: high input impedance, low output impedance, low distortion, and high voltage gain. It also provides isolation between the input and output circuits, making it useful for impedance matching.

4. What are the applications of a transistor emitter follower?

Transistor emitter followers are commonly used in audio amplifiers, voltage regulators, and buffer circuits. They are also used in communication systems, instrumentation, and control circuits due to their ability to amplify weak signals without distortion.

5. How does a transistor emitter follower differ from other transistor configurations?

A transistor emitter follower is different from other transistor configurations, such as common emitter or common base, in terms of its input and output characteristics. It has a high input impedance and low output impedance, which makes it suitable for applications where high voltage gain and low distortion are required.