Designing a 3 Phase AC Generator

In summary, the generator will need to generate a voltage of 380 V and an ampere output of as much as possible. The rotational speed of the rotor will be 3.5 m/s. The layout of the magnets will need to be considered in order to generate the correct frequency.
Entrepreneur
I intend designing a 3 phase AC generator. Thereafter I need to build it. Believing in "a picture tells a 1000 words", I am very much a "pictures" person, and as my studies in the electrical field were completed many moons ago, the formulas are now "forgotten" - so thus I want to approach this design project in the simplest of manners - with pictures etc.

I would very much appreciate your assistance in the design of this generator and even if you have the highest of college degrees it would still be appreciated if you could explain in layman's terms.

The information I have at hand is currently the following :

Required AC Voltage Output : 380 V (230V per phase)
Required AC Ampere Output : (as much as possible)
rotational speed of rotor : 3.5 m/s
(e.g. - if the circumference of the rotor is 400 mm then the rpm would be 525 r/m)
(e.g. - if the circumference of the rotor is 800 mm then the rpm would be 263 r/m)
The rotor is the "outside" of the generator (packed with magnets)
The stator is the shaft with the armature wound on it. (the shaft can be packed with an armature in length of 500 mm to 1000 mm - length of shaft)
This generator will be powered by a mechanical force which will run at 3.5 m/s (conveyor belt)

The information I require is the following :

Thickness of copper windings
Quantity of windings (3 phase - should I make 1 coil per phase or 3 coils per phase or more)
Direction of windings (in relation to the magnets)
layout of magnets (in relation to the coil)
circumference of the rotor (bigger or smaller)

Any other information which I need to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
roller.jpg

The shaft (stator) is fixed and stationary - the roller (rotor) (yellow cylinder) is rotating.
The shaft needs to be wound armature-like and the magnets need to be fixed on the roller's inside.
roller.jpg
Magnets.png
(magnet layout)

Before you talk about speeds you need to think about frequency, what frequency do you want to generate?

1. How does a 3 phase AC generator work?

A 3 phase AC generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy through the process of electromagnetic induction. This is done by rotating a set of coils within a magnetic field, causing the electrons within the coils to move and create an alternating current.

2. What are the main components of a 3 phase AC generator?

The main components of a 3 phase AC generator include a stator, rotor, and an exciter. The stator is a stationary set of coils that create a magnetic field, while the rotor is a rotating set of coils that generates the electrical current. The exciter is used to provide the initial voltage to the rotor to start the generation process.

3. How do you calculate the output voltage of a 3 phase AC generator?

The output voltage of a 3 phase AC generator can be calculated using the formula V = 4.44 x N x B x A x f, where N is the number of turns in the coil, B is the magnetic flux density, A is the area of the coil, and f is the frequency of rotation. This formula takes into account the factors that affect the output voltage of the generator.

4. What is the difference between a single-phase and 3 phase AC generator?

The main difference between a single-phase and 3 phase AC generator is the number of phases in which the current is produced. A single-phase generator produces a single alternating current, while a 3 phase generator produces three alternating currents that are offset from each other. This allows for a more consistent and efficient output of power in 3 phase generators.

5. How do you design a 3 phase AC generator for a specific power output?

The design of a 3 phase AC generator for a specific power output involves determining the required number of coils, the size of the coils, and the speed of rotation. The output voltage and current can be adjusted by changing these parameters. It is also important to consider the load that the generator will be powering and make adjustments accordingly.