Designing a 5L Football for the MFL

In summary, the volume of an ellipsoid can be used to create a football with a capacity of 5L ± 100mL. The function should have two symmetric zeros, and the equation for the volume of the ellipsoid can be used to find the dimensions of the football.
DPCalculus

Homework Statement

You have been employed but(sic) the Mathematics Football League (MFL) to design a football. Using the volume of revolution technique, your football design must have a capacity of 5L ± 100mL. You must present a statement considering the brief below. Just a quick side note, I have checked and it cannot be spherical, it must be in the normal elliptical rugby or gridiron shaped ball (roughly).
Brief:
  • The volume of revolution technique is to be used
  • The football must have a capacity of 5L ± 100mL
  • You should use a single non-linear function
  • You must explain carefully all the steps that you take in choosing the function and the dimensions of the football
  • You may use numerical methods (trapezium rule, numerical integration or a graphing package) in the design of the football

Homework Equations

1. V=π∫[f(x)]^2 dx (from a to b) -> Sorry I don't know how to add the boundaries in properly
  2. V=π∫[f(x)-g(x)]^2 dx (from a to b)
  3. V=π∫[f(y)]^2 (from a to b - along the y-axis)
  4. x(turning point)=-b/2a
  5. T=2π/b
  6. Quadratic Formula
  7. y=ax^2+bx+c
  8. y=sin(x)
  9. etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's some of my attempts at the solution. (I have done it in a million different ways and cannot seem to get it, I either got somewhere between 2000 and 4500mL and 6000-7000mL. Most of my working is just me picking up small errors in the calculations. The processes in the photos are pretty much the different processes I attempted the solution with) Sorry for the bad camera, thanks in advance.
nT9T3uT.jpg

1aW4aNV.jpg

gRZinCQ.jpg

ZVFSGew.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Your uploaded pictures are pretty much unreadable. Can you scan them instead and upload the PDF images?

I would recommend starting with the goal in mind.
You want the volume to be 5L, and you need to have two symmetric zeros for your function.
## V = \pi \int_0^{x_1} [f(x)]^2 dx =5##
I think that starting with a quadratic function is fine. Set the first zero at x = 0, so you have ##f(x) = ax^2 + bx## which as a second zero at x = -b/a.
Square that to get your integrated function.
## V = \pi \int_0^{-b/a} ( ax^2 + bx )^2 dx = 5. ##
The integration is straightforward, and you should be left with an equation with lots of a's and b's and a 5.
You can pick a value for a and solve for b. Graph the resulting function (ax^2 + bx) so you can see what you get.
Increasing a will decrease the length of your football and make it fatter in the middle. Decreasing a will make it longer and make it thinner in the middle.
Of course, you need to make sure your units match up...so in this case, since 1L = (10cm)^3, your units of length for x are in decimeters.

You could also consider entering "volume of an ellipsoid" into Google if you want another perspective.

1. How do you determine the optimal size and weight for a 5L football?

The optimal size and weight for a 5L football is determined through a combination of mathematical calculations and testing. Factors such as the age and skill level of players, as well as the intended use of the football, are taken into consideration. Generally, a 5L football will weigh between 400-440 grams and have a circumference of 68-70 cm.

2. What materials are typically used in the construction of a 5L football?

Most 5L footballs are made with a synthetic leather outer layer, a rubber bladder, and a layer of foam or cotton padding. These materials provide durability, good grip, and a comfortable feel for players.

3. How is the aerodynamics of a 5L football optimized?

The aerodynamics of a 5L football are optimized through its shape and surface texture. The ball is designed to have a round shape and a smooth, slightly textured surface to reduce air resistance and allow for better accuracy and control when kicked or thrown.

4. Can a 5L football be used in all weather conditions?

Most 5L footballs are designed to be used in all weather conditions, but some may perform better in certain conditions. For example, a ball with a textured surface may provide better grip in wet conditions, while a smoother surface may be more suitable for dry conditions.

5. How often should a 5L football be replaced?

The lifespan of a 5L football can vary depending on its quality and frequency of use. Generally, a ball should be replaced every 1-2 years or when it begins to show signs of wear and tear, such as loss of air pressure or damage to the outer layer.