Finding the volume surrounded by a curve using polar coordinate

In summary, the conversation discusses a tangent plane equation for a curved surface in the xyz space, the relation between the tangent plane and the plane S, and the calculation of the volume of the part between z=x^2+y^2 and the plane S. The tangent plane can be described by the equation z=a^2+b^2+2a(x-a)+2b(y-b), and it will pass through the point (0,0,-1) when a^2+b^2=1. The plane S can be described as the tangent plane passing through any point on the unit circle in the xy plane. To calculate the volume, more information is needed and it is suggested to sketch out the graph to better understand the problem
devinaxxx

Homework Statement

I tried to answer the following questions is about the curve surface [itex]z= f (x, y) = x^2 + y^2 [/itex] in the xyz space.

And the three questions related to each otherA.)

Find the tangent plane equation at the point [itex](a, b, a^2+ b^2) [/itex] in curved surface z .

The equation of the tangent plane at the point [itex](a, b, f (a, b)) [/itex] on z is given by the following equation[itex]Z-f(a,b)=f_x(a,b)(x-a)+f_y(a,b)(x-b)[/itex]So i got

[itex]
Z-(a^2+b^2)=2a(x-a)+2b(x-b)[/itex]

[itex]2ax+2by-(a^2+b^2)[/itex]2)

when the tangent plane of the previous question moves pass through the point (0,0,-1). Find The equation for a plane S that contains the contact trajectory.Tried to put 0,0,-1 to equation in number 1

[itex]-1=-(a^2+b^2)[/itex]

[itex]z=1 [/itex] is S(?) But i wasnt so sure what is S plane here and what is the relation with Z?

Calculate the volume V of the part surrounded by [itex]z=x^2+y^2 [/itex] and the plane S
Note :

I was confuse about number 3, what is the area surrounded by S and Z (?)

Since i wasnt so sure about graph of S and Z here
can you help me to picture s and z? and also give me hint about the integration of the volume?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
devinaxxx said:

Homework Statement

I tried to answer the following questions is about the curve surface [itex]z= f (x, y) = x^2 + y^2 [/itex] in the xyz space.
And the three questions related to each other
A.)
Find the tangent plane equation at the point [itex](a, b, a^2+ b^2) [/itex] in curved surface z .
The equation of the tangent plane at the point [itex](a, b, f (a, b)) [/itex] on z is given by the following equation
[itex]Z-f(a,b)=f_x(a,b)(x-a)+f_y(a,b)(x-b)[/itex]
So i got
[itex]
Z-(a^2+b^2)=2a(x-a)+2b(x-b)[/itex]

[itex]2ax+2by-(a^2+b^2)[/itex]

You need ##z =## on the left side of that last equation although I think it is better to leave it in the form $$
z = a^2 + b^2 + 2a(x-a) + 2b(y-b)$$
2)
when the tangent plane of the previous question moves pass through the point (0,0,-1). Find The equation for a plane S that contains the contact trajectory.
Tried to put 0,0,-1 to equation in number 1
[itex]-1=-(a^2+b^2)[/itex]
[itex]z=1 [/itex] is S(?)
But i wasnt so sure what is S plane here and what is the relation with Z?
What you have shown is that the tangent plane will pass through ##(0,0,-1)## whenever ##a^2+b^2=1##. In other words, if you take any point on the unit circle in the xy plane, the tangent plane to the paraboloid above that point will pass through that point. So there are lots of tangent planes that will work. You need more information to get a single plane S.

Calculate the volume V of the part surrounded by [itex]z=x^2+y^2 [/itex] and the plane S
You clearly need more information to get a single tangent plane, and even then you need a better description of what volume you are talking about. Also, in part 2, how does a tangent plane "move" and what do you mean by "contact trajectory"?

Last edited:
Best way is to draw it out if you do not see it from the given equations. You have 3 cases: When Z=0, when X=0, when Y=0. Now graph.

Do not forget to take both x and y are equal to 0.

This gives you something to work with. Now expand this idea to your given problem.

Related to Finding the volume surrounded by a curve using polar coordinate

1. How do you find the volume surrounded by a curve using polar coordinates?

To find the volume surrounded by a curve using polar coordinates, you can use the formula V = ∫a^b (1/2 [f(θ)]^2) dθ, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(θ) is the function representing the curve. This formula is derived from the formula for calculating the volume of a solid of revolution.

2. What is the difference between finding the volume using polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference between finding the volume using polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates is the method of integration. In Cartesian coordinates, the volume is calculated by integrating the cross-sectional areas perpendicular to the axis of revolution. In polar coordinates, the volume is calculated by integrating the slices parallel to the axis of revolution.

3. Can you explain the concept of polar coordinates and how they relate to finding volume?

Polar coordinates represent a point in a plane by its distance from the origin (r) and the angle it makes with the positive x-axis (θ). This is in contrast to Cartesian coordinates, which represent a point by its distance from the x-axis (x) and the y-axis (y). When finding the volume surrounded by a curve using polar coordinates, we are essentially integrating the area of the cross-sections perpendicular to the axis of revolution, which are defined by the polar coordinates of each point along the curve.

4. What is the importance of choosing the correct limits of integration when finding the volume using polar coordinates?

The limits of integration determine the range of values for the angle (θ) that will be used in the integration process. It is important to choose the correct limits so that the entire volume is accounted for and no portion is left out. This can be achieved by finding the points of intersection between the curve and the axis of revolution and using those as the limits of integration.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the volume surrounded by a curve using polar coordinates?

Yes, finding the volume using polar coordinates has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of objects with rotational symmetry, such as cones, cylinders, and spheres. It is also useful in calculating the volume of fluids in containers with curved walls, such as tanks and pipes.