Designing a driven spring mass system for school project

In summary, the speaker suggests using a subwoofer as a cheap and easy way to demonstrate resonance with a spring mass system. They also suggest using a high speed camera to plot the graph of the spring's path. They mention the possibility of borrowing a car battery for power. The speaker also expresses interest in finding a way to accurately measure low frequencies, potentially with a friend's sophisticated equipment.
RubinLicht

Homework Statement

I have a math project due in a month. The topic i chose to present was second order differential equations, so i felt like making a driven spring mass system to demonstrate resonance and nice things like that. I have a few questions about materials and design and such and would like to bounce some ideas off of you all. any input is appreciated.

Homework Equations

irrelevant

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a link i found that looks pretty compact, and i wonder if it would be possible to cut down on the price of some of the materials used in this with replacements or kits.

I also don't mind if the demonstration is less sophisticated and requires that I do some manual tweaking (mechanical vs electronic controls), as long as it is good enough for me to demonstrate resonance nicely. Heres another link, just for ideas (looks way too expensive harhar:

Goals: the frequency will always be in the range of 0-10 hz
1) to be able to find the resonant frequency by adjusting the vibration frequency
2) to measure the said frequency
3) draw some connections between spring frequency, signal frequency, resonance and stuff. [intentionally vague]

Goals that aren't necessary but i would like to do:
1) graph the path of the spring system, onto computer or onto paper (by being ghetto and attaching a pencil or brush to the mass or something or tracking it and plotting it with some software, throw any ideas at me)
2) have the vibrational frequency be displayed while I am adjusting (would require some sophisticated stuff)

I could always ask my friends/adult friends whether or not they have some of the more sophisticated things like vibration generators and signal (function?) generators...

thanks for your time.

I also wonder if it is possible to do something like this for very low frequencies and very accurately, maybe with accuracy of 0.05 hertz in the range of 0-10 Hz.

Last edited:
You can practice by helping this guy https://www.physicsforums.com/index.php?threads/867500/you can pull a subwoofer from a surround sound system or better yet someones car and just put double sided tape or velcro in the Centre of the speaker. Subwoofers are just easier to deal with than speakers. And if damaging the speaker with tape is a no no then put a wieght that's heavy relative to the LIGHT spring you will use. Connect it to your phone and use that frequency generator. Speakers might be really annoying but I thought it would sound fine at low frequency.

Try to find the highest speed camera with a player that's easy to slow-mo and play in forward and reverse with a ruler or something behind the spring and then plot a graph by hand.

If power is an issue then borrow someones car battery. The rednecks around my woods always have an extra battery in their trucks so if you know someone with a diesel then that's a good battery and a good bet.

Last edited:
Likes RubinLicht

What is a driven spring mass system?

A driven spring mass system is a mechanical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and a driving force that causes the mass to oscillate back and forth.

What materials are needed to design a driven spring mass system for a school project?

The materials needed for a driven spring mass system include a mass (such as a weight or ball), a spring, a support structure (such as a clamp or stand), and a means of applying a driving force (such as a motor or hand crank).

How does the stiffness of the spring affect the behavior of a driven spring mass system?

The stiffness of the spring determines the frequency of oscillation and the amplitude (or size) of the oscillations. A stiffer spring will result in a higher frequency and smaller amplitude, while a less stiff spring will result in a lower frequency and larger amplitude.

What are the factors that affect the period (or time) of oscillation in a driven spring mass system?

The period of oscillation in a driven spring mass system is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillations. The period can also be affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance.

How can a driven spring mass system be used in real-world applications?

Driven spring mass systems have many practical applications, such as in shock absorbers for cars, suspension systems for bridges, and mechanical watches. They are also used in the study of vibrations and oscillations in mechanical systems.