Designing a Goblet: Homework Equations & Attempt at Solution

• Thread starter jacksonpeeble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, for the final project of designing a goblet, the specifications include a capacity of 200 cc, symmetry, 150 cc of material for manufacturing, and a minimum stem thickness of 0.25 cm. The suggested method is using the disc method and the attempt at a solution involves using a base followed by a sine graph, a logarithmic graph, and a closing graph. More advice is needed on additional functions and how to use integrals and the disc method.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

As our final project, we have been instructed to design a goblet (which will actually be physically prototyped using a 3-D printer) according to the following specifications:
1. The goblet must hold exactly 200 cc.
2. The goblet must be symmetric (a solid of revolution).
3. The goblet requires exactly 150 cc of material to manufacture.
4. The stem thickness must be at least .25cm at its thinnest point.

Homework Equations

Disc Method

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that this is very in depth. I would just appreciate step-by-step guidance as to what to do, and I will post my findings and we can all move on to the next step. This is my final project, and worth a lot, but I also want to produce a high-quality end product.

After sketching several models, I decided on one that uses a base followed by a sine graph:
f1(x)=.25sin(x) | -6<x<1.26966
followed by a logarithmic graph (I found that natural log was the most aesthetically-pleasing):
f2(x)=ln(x) | 1.26966<x<8
and a closing graph (for the hole in the middle):
f3(x)=ln(x) | 1.26966+1/6<x<8
where 1.26966 is an essentially arbitrary value that can be shifted (I merely picked it because it is the readily-available location of intersection that I graphed on my calculator). The graphs themselves are easily shifted, too. Obviously, I cannot have cusps or corners, or the structure will break.

What I Currently Need:
Advice as to additional functions to graph.
How to use integrals and the disk method for this assignment.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should try to use a different function to define the inner "lining". Something like this:

[tex]a\sqrt{x+b}[/tex]

Also, redefine your sine function to look like this:

[tex]c\sin{(x+d)} + e[/tex]

I messed around with the numbers on WolframAlpha and found that this combination looks decent:

[tex] \frac{1}{4} \sin{x} + 0.3[/tex]

[tex] \frac{2}{5} \sqrt{x} [/tex]

However, I didn't check the integration. I guess you could integrate with the arbitrary constants that I suggested in the functions to try to find a best fit. Might take a lot of work, and might not even work in the end. Best of luck!

Related to Designing a Goblet: Homework Equations & Attempt at Solution

1. What is the purpose of designing a goblet?

The purpose of designing a goblet is to create a functional and aesthetically pleasing drinking vessel that can hold and showcase various types of beverages, such as wine, water, and juice.

2. What are the important elements to consider when designing a goblet?

Some important elements to consider when designing a goblet include its shape, size, material, weight, and handle. These elements can affect the functionality, comfort, and overall appeal of the goblet.

3. What are the common materials used in designing a goblet?

The most common materials used in designing a goblet are glass, crystal, ceramic, and metal. Each material has its own unique properties and can create a different look and feel for the goblet.

4. How do you determine the ideal size for a goblet?

The ideal size for a goblet can be determined by considering the type of beverage it will hold, the amount of liquid it should hold, and the intended use (e.g. formal dining or casual gathering). It should also be comfortable to hold and drink from.

5. What are some tips for designing a goblet that is both functional and visually appealing?

To design a goblet that is both functional and visually appealing, consider the balance between form and function, pay attention to details such as the thickness and shape of the rim, and experiment with different materials and designs. It is also important to test the goblet in its intended use to ensure it meets the desired criteria.