Designing a Pallet Chain Conveyor: Calculations and Approaches

In summary, the conversation is about the design calculations for a chain conveyor. The person is having difficulty finding formulas for this type of conveyor and is considering using a procedure for chain drive. They are looking for help with calculating the required torque and strength for the conveyor, and are currently in the research phase of the design process. A sketch is suggested as a helpful tool.
FEAnalyst
TL;DR Summary
How to perform design calculations for pallet chain conveyor?
Hi,

I'm not sure how to approach the design calculations for chain conveyor. It's rather easy to find formulas for belt conveyor but it's not the same. I also thought about the use of procedure applicable to chain drive but in case of conveyor load is placed directly on the chain (or a pair of chains, actually).
How would you approach such design calculations ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Exactly what calculations are you trying to do? I kinda sort of get the idea that you want to find the drive torque to pull a loaded chain over a slider bed, but I'm not sure from your description.

Hint: A sketch is worth a thousand words...

Likes Dr.D
Actually, all necessary calculations. I would like to follow the whole design procedure. I guess that some parts will be similar to approaches used for other conveyors (especially belt conveyor). But mainly I’m interested in evaluation of required torque (to select motor) and some strength calculations.

So far I’m just doing research in this topic. I don’t have even initial design yet.

1. What is a pallet chain conveyor and how does it work?

A pallet chain conveyor is a type of material handling equipment used to transport heavy loads, typically in a manufacturing or warehouse setting. It consists of a series of chains that run along a track and are powered by a motor. The chains have hooks or attachments that can hold pallets or other items, allowing them to be moved along the conveyor.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a pallet chain conveyor?

When designing a pallet chain conveyor, factors such as the size and weight of the items being transported, the speed and direction of the conveyor, and the layout and space constraints of the facility should all be taken into account. Additionally, the type of chain and attachments, as well as safety features, must be carefully considered.

3. How do you determine the appropriate chain speed for a pallet chain conveyor?

The appropriate chain speed for a pallet chain conveyor depends on several factors, including the weight and size of the items being transported, the length and incline of the conveyor, and the desired production rate. Generally, a speed of 20-40 feet per minute is recommended for most applications.

4. What are the main types of pallet chain conveyor systems?

The main types of pallet chain conveyor systems include drag chain conveyors, roller conveyors, and slat conveyors. Drag chain conveyors use a series of connected chains to move items along the conveyor. Roller conveyors use rollers to move items, while slat conveyors use flat slats to transport items. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

5. How can safety be ensured when using a pallet chain conveyor?

To ensure safety when using a pallet chain conveyor, proper training should be provided to operators, and regular maintenance and inspections should be conducted. Safety features such as emergency stops, guardrails, and warning signs should also be implemented. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations to prevent accidents and injuries.