How to Calculate Sliding Friction in Chain Conveyors?

In summary, sliding friction is a type of force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides over a surface. It is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of sliding friction by the normal force and is affected by factors such as surface type, roughness, weight of the object, and speed. Sliding friction differs from static friction in that it occurs during motion and has a lower coefficient. Understanding sliding friction is important for designing efficient products and improving everyday activities.
johnde
Hi All...
I have to design a chain conveyor. I am new for this conveyor design. Here i have to find friction between chain and bottom . But i have mass and velocity only .How can i calculate this .please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all, you'll need more data (and a sketch would help).

Related to How to Calculate Sliding Friction in Chain Conveyors?

What is sliding friction?

Sliding friction, also known as kinetic friction, is a type of force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides over a surface.

How is sliding friction calculated?

Sliding friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of sliding friction, which is a constant value determined by the materials in contact, by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface.

What factors affect sliding friction?

The factors that affect sliding friction include the type of surface, the roughness of the surface, the weight of the object, and the speed at which the object is moving.

How is sliding friction different from static friction?

Sliding friction occurs when an object is in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest. Additionally, the coefficient of sliding friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction.

Why is sliding friction important to understand?

Sliding friction plays a crucial role in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and using machinery. Understanding sliding friction allows us to design better products and improve efficiency in various industries.