Designing an Effective Egg Catcher: Materials and Strategies

In summary, the assignment is to create an egg catcher using limited materials, including paper, aluminum foil, straws, and tape. The plan is to create a cylinder with the paper and use the straws as support, while using the aluminum foil and tape to create a net. Suggestions for improvement include adding layers of aluminum foil and paper to decelerate the egg, or creating a box from the straws with alternating layers of aluminum foil and paper.
Zanmar
1. My assignment is to create an egg catcher to successfully catch an egg dropped from a height of a meter, the only materials I can use is:
1 Piece of paper
1 piece of aluminum foil
2 straws
20cm of tape

What I was planning to do was create a cylinder with the paper and using the straws as support, while creating a net from the aluminum foil and tape, any suggestions to help with my plan or any different designs would be highly appreciated THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps a couple layers of aluminum foil followed by paper would be a good way to decelerate the egg and stop it. Just a suggestion

I was considering creating a box from the straws and having layers of aluminum foil and paper, do you think that may work better. Also thanks for the suggestion!

What is the "Egg Catcher Design problem"?

The "Egg Catcher Design problem" is a common problem in engineering and physics that involves designing a device or structure that can safely catch and protect an egg when it is dropped from a certain height.

What factors should be considered when designing an egg catcher?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing an egg catcher, including the shape, size, and materials of the catcher, as well as the height from which the egg will be dropped and the speed at which it will be falling. The goal is to create a catcher that can safely catch the egg without breaking it.

What are some common designs for egg catchers?

Some common designs for egg catchers include using a parachute, a cushioning material such as foam or bubble wrap, a series of slanted surfaces that redirect the egg's momentum, and a cradle or basket structure to hold the egg.

What are some challenges in designing an effective egg catcher?

One of the main challenges in designing an effective egg catcher is finding the right balance between cushioning the egg enough to prevent it from breaking, but not so much that it slows down the egg's fall or causes it to bounce out of the catcher. Another challenge is making sure the catcher is stable enough to withstand the impact of the falling egg without tipping over.

How can the egg catcher design problem be applied in real-life situations?

The egg catcher design problem is often used as a hands-on activity in STEM education to teach students about basic engineering principles and problem-solving skills. It can also be applied in real-life situations such as designing packaging for fragile items or creating safety measures for objects dropped from a height, such as parachutes for skydivers or airbags for vehicles.