Designing an orifice plate to increase the pressure in a pipe

In summary, an orifice plate is a device used to measure and control fluid flow in a pipe. It works by creating a pressure drop as the fluid passes through a hole in the plate. This pressure drop can be controlled to increase pressure downstream by choosing the right size and shape of the orifice plate. Factors to consider when designing an orifice plate for pressure increase include the size and shape of the orifice, type of fluid and its properties, flow rate, and desired pressure increase. However, there are limitations to using an orifice plate for pressure increase, such as potential erosion or damage to the plate and limited pressure increase in large pipe diameters. Alternative methods for increasing pressure include using a pump or pressure regulator, but these may
shekarharsha
Homework Statement
I am doing an experiment , where air is flowing through a square pipe of 95mm x95mm cross section with a mass flow rate of say 500slpm, now i want to chock the flow in order to increase the pressure in the pipe up to 4bar (absolute) max by using an orifice plate at the end of the pipe. now i want to find the orifice diameter, for which i get the desired pressure in the pipe.
Relevant Equations
now i know for chock condition : P/Po<.528
where p- 1 atm
Po- 3+1.01325=4.013bar(absolute) inside pipe
say for 3.013bar absolute pressure
pressure ratio :
P/Po = 14.7psi/43.707psi = 0.33
which means its chocked flow
now i want to find diameter or area of orifice :
so could anyone help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two orifice flow (search the term) equations for flow through an orifice. One is for choked flow, the other for non-choked flow. The criteria that you used in your post tells you which equation to use. You know the pressure, gas properties of air, and flow rate, and the only unknown is the orifice diameter.

1. How does an orifice plate increase pressure in a pipe?

An orifice plate is a thin, flat plate with a hole in the center that is inserted into a pipe. As fluid flows through the pipe and reaches the orifice plate, the hole creates a restriction in the flow. This restriction causes an increase in fluid velocity, which in turn leads to an increase in pressure.

2. What factors should be considered when designing an orifice plate to increase pressure?

When designing an orifice plate, it is important to consider the size and shape of the orifice, the material of the plate, the flow rate and properties of the fluid, and the diameter and length of the pipe. These factors will affect the amount of pressure that can be increased by the orifice plate.

3. How do I determine the size of the orifice plate for my specific application?

The size of the orifice plate is determined by the flow rate and properties of the fluid, as well as the desired increase in pressure. There are equations and charts available that can help calculate the appropriate size of the orifice plate for a given application.

4. Can an orifice plate be used to decrease pressure in a pipe?

Yes, an orifice plate can also be used to decrease pressure in a pipe. By increasing the size of the orifice, the restriction on the flow is decreased, resulting in a decrease in fluid velocity and pressure.

5. Are there any limitations to using an orifice plate to increase pressure in a pipe?

Yes, there are limitations to using an orifice plate. The orifice plate can only increase pressure up to a certain point, and using too small of an orifice can cause excessive pressure drop and damage to the plate. Additionally, the orifice plate can create turbulence and energy losses in the flow, which may need to be accounted for in the design.